Magic Spanner?

aidancoughlan

Visit site
I've spent most of yesterday with my head in the bilges, F*&£'ing and cursing over a pair of 40mm hexagonal nuts at the bottom of the Gate valve on the Galley outlet(to replace with bronze DZR ball valve).

Anybody know what type of tool is best for opening something this size? I've tried adjustable spanners (not big enough), Pipe Wrench (too big & awkward for the space), and a pliers wrench (keeps slipping off).

Done a search & nothing in the archives... but there must be a Magic spanner out there.

If you have a favourite perfect tool for this or other jobs around the boat.... any suggestions greatly appreciated !

mikebees

Visit site
How about a mole wrench with a short length of galvanised steel water pipe to increase leverage? I have found this combination unbeatable provided you have sufficient space. No good if you want to re-use nut but sounds as if you would fit a new one anyway.

tugboat

Visit site
I can't quite picture your layout, but suggest a visit to your local car accessory shop. I'm sure combination spanners are available in the size you need, and maybe also combi-spanners with a cranked (bent) shaft. Presumably a 40mm socket with ratchet or universal joint doesn't fit the bill? Anyway, the carparts bods will know what's available. Otherwise try the tool-hire peeps or buy a pint for your local small engineering bod and pump him for ideas. Sounds like you have typical boat maintenance issue. The bit you want to access was put in first, and then the rest of the boat was built around it! Afterthought - nutsplitter as last ditch effort?

A

Anonymous

If you know who made the valve, you could phone them. If you don't, can you post a photo here - someone will recognise it.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've spent most of yesterday with my head in the bilges, F*&£'ing and cursing over a pair of 40mm hexagonal nuts at the bottom of the Gate valve on the Galley outlet(to replace with bronze DZR ball valve).

Anybody know what type of tool is best for opening something this size? I've tried adjustable spanners (not big enough), Pipe Wrench (too big & awkward for the space), and a pliers wrench (keeps slipping off).

Done a search & nothing in the archives... but there must be a Magic spanner out there.

If you have a favourite perfect tool for this or other jobs around the boat.... any suggestions greatly appreciated !

[/ QUOTE ]I came across a similar situation when removing a valve that was fixed to the through hull fitting in a "well" with only around 2" clearance - solution was to measure the nuts accurately (callipers) then "acquire" a couple of open ended spanners of the correct size and with the aid of some gas welding gear bend the spanners shank 90° as near to the jaws as possible - similar to a plumber's tap wrench - and problem solved. - As the jaws are sort of "off set" I cranked one spanner one way and the other the other way to give me a "left handed and a right handed" spanner.
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

Benbow

Visit site
Not sure exactly what the problem is here. But if it helps, you would be amazed how much you can grind off a ring spanner to give it additional clearance before it falls apart.

RMA

Visit site
I can’t quite picture the situation here, but I had a similar problem with a gate valve attached to a through hull fitting, effectively down the end of a tunnel. I visited a few old fashioned ironmongers until I found one with a 32 mm box spanner - it worked a treat.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I once had to grind the flange off the skin fitting (I used an old and knackered bit in a router) and knock the whole thing through from the outside when I couldn't move a shower/sink drain that was very difficult to access inside the vanity unit in the heads. I then replaced the lot, but it was still a sod of a job.

Appleyard

Visit site
Try a plumber's basin wrench,and use a long tommy to give you more leverage. These are designed to work in very very awkward places.

Ardenfour

Visit site
had a similar problem with mine. if you're going to replace the valve anyway, best bet's to cut it apart with an angle grinder. Alternative would be a set of Stilsons if you're determined to unscrew the thing ( probably need two sets, one to grip the fitting, the other the nut

Thistle

Visit site
Just a thought ... if it's that difficult to get out, how are you going to get the new one in? (Basin wrench sounds like the way to go, though.)

Avocet

Visit site
Depending on how much space you've got and whether you want to keep the old valve, I'd be inclined to just take one flat of the nut with an angle grinder (shouldn't get any sparks off brass) and then just split it off with a cold chisel. If you can get access, it will come off much easier than you think that way!

aidancoughlan

Visit site
Hi all,
Many thanks for all the responses - just logged on now, and spent an hour or so browsing the web to find out what al those tools are ! (I'm a beginner, learning this as I go along :).

I picked up a short handled pipe-wrench this afternoon & went down to do battle again. No joy I'm afraid.

I also had a look at Mole wrenches/Vice grips, but couldnt find one large enough for a 40mm width - some would open 40mm, but the jaws are far from paralell at that point.
Combination Spanners when they get to 40mm are humunous in length and handle size, far too big.

A chain wrench looks handy, it will probably fit but I suspect will be difficult to get purchase on in the space.

With the gate valve handle and hose removed,a 40mm socket with an articulated handle looks like it would do the job, as would a Box spanner which also looks like it will do the job when fit down over the nut... but theres two more nuts underneath not accesible from above.

An articulated basin wrench looks the business for tight spaces, the local speciality tool shop didnt one big enough for the size, but this looks like the best bet - I will order one from the web for next weekend, cancel next Saturdays plans, and have another go. If the worst comes to the worst, I'm nearly ready to hand it over to the local boatyard!.

I've linked to a photo - it's tighter than it seems -restricted by the ridges in the glassfibre on either side - I've had to cut away the plywood to get access, might cut away a bit more.
Access
Gate Valve with handle removed

best regards & thanks for all the suggestions !

garvellachs

Visit site
We've replaced several gate valves on our elderly Maxi. In every case we were unable to detatch the gate-valve from the through-hull and ended up, sensibly, replacing both the valve and the through-hull with bronze replacements. A grinder on the through-hull removes it quickly, grinding off the outer flange. Protect the hull from any flying hot debris with masking tape and newspaper or similar. If you put big torque on an old thru-hull, you'll never be able to trust it's seal again?