Magazines

chas

Visit site
I have been offered a magazine subsription. In the past I have had YM, PBO and another that I had better not mention on this forum. They all have their good points but I cannot make up my mind which one to choose. Which should I select? Any advice gratefully recieved.

PS - most of the helpful remarks about the Beano, Dandy, Knave etc as alternatives have probably already been made.

G

I find that many of them seem to fall between "useful" and "dreaming". The ultimate dreamers mag is Boat International, with no practical advice whatsoever, other than whom to pay the first lottery win (as deposit) for monster craft.

zefender

Visit site
A bit of dreaming's not bad though is it? Being a tad impractical, find PBO a bit too Blue Peterish for me. YM I quite enjoy, YW is OK but short on info. Is ST still functioning? I don't seem to see it much these days --though I thought some of the articles were well written and designed, if slightly fixed in the 22 - 32' LOA band.
Incidentally Matts, I've been reading threads about your impending 'animal' delivery. I assume by the piccie it will be very fast on acceleration. But will it, like the animal, stop after a few hundred yards, exhausted - in need of re-fuelling? (non-boatist comment)

G

Re: dreaming etc

ooh, no, dreaming is abslootley fine and dandy. Noticeable, actually, that at the very most monster levels of boat, they all knock along at 12-18 knots max, whether sail or power. I really don't see the point of the monster ship-style "powerboats" which are displacement-only, and no wind assistance. So, that's a few quid saved....

Re beastie/animal, I am reliably informed that we'll be looking at a real 400 litres per hour, tanks are 5000 litres. So it should be ok for a reasonable thrash, before another 3-4 grand credit card beating.

zefender

Visit site
Re: Sheikh Matts

Ker-ripes! So a fill up is about £1650 - double of course if Gordon Brown decides to put some duty on the stuff.

But then that got me thinking. Assuming I sail on a 40 mile passage and this takes me about 7 hours, then my costs would work out as follows, assuming a crew of 6....

2 hours fuel (in out marina/harbour etc) £2
Breakfast for crew £20
Lunch for crew (aboard, no caviar this run) £24
Coffees/teas biscuits etc £4
Total bill £50

You would be there in an hour and so wouldn't need coffee/tea meals etc - they'd be flying all over the place if you did. So your costs would be fuel only - say £130. Different yes, but my costs work out at £8.33 each and yours at £21.66 per person. Hardly crucifying. I'll let you decide which would be the more pleasant journey! And I'll say nothing about particulates - promise!

G

Re: ST = Sailing Today. nm

Before you rush out and buy ST for a year bear some of this in mind. Over 200 000 readers can’t be wrong. YM and PBO boast that many each.

YM has the history over one hundred years old still fresh and interesting. The Cruising magazine of choice for the experienced Yachtie and the newcomer alike.

PBO (currently incorporating new design initiatives) has been a forum for useful ideas, practical information and technical advice since the 60’s.

In that time there have been 4 editors. In contrast ST has had approx 4 editors in the last 4½ years this has to make it hard to gauge the consistency of the magazine.

It is still much easier to define the quality and message of YM and PBO. Perhaps you could take another look before making a decision, after all it is still a question of personal taste.

London Boat Show is always a good time to make these decisions particularly as you can drop by and talk to each of the editorial teams as well as take advantage of the various deals and give aways.

G

Re: worse than that

the boat is in the med, so um fuel is not red and cheap, but 65p a litre. However, no need for 40 mile trip to find anywhere nice. In fact... it's quite nice here, really? Ok, then we'll go just outside and anchor in the bay...