MacGregor 26, opinions please ?

pelicanpete

Visit site
Friend of mine bought one second-hand, originally named "Best of Both Worlds." A few weeks later he felt moved to peel off the plastic adhesive letters making up the words "Best of".

He says it sails like a pig. But it looks "interesting" when on the plane!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Friend of mine bought one second-hand, originally named "Best of Both Worlds." A few weeks later he felt moved to peel off the plastic adhesive letters making up the words "Best of".

He says it sails like a pig. But it looks "interesting" when on the plane!

Or he could have added an 'a' in front of the 's'.

monkfish24

Visit site
My dad used to own a 26c (sailing version) about ten years ago.

Despite the bad press from those that have never been on one, they aren't that bad.

You have to remember to allow the tank to fill completly, the biggest problem is owners not allowing the tank to fill completely when trying to sail.

They do heel, they aren't deisgned for a blowy day, but as a day sailor for pottering around the coast and beaching, they are pretty good.

The interior is a single moulded piece which keeps it bright inside and easy to clean but was never my cup of tea.

The rig is very small for the size of boat but that is understandable considering it is designed to be lowered easily.

maby

Visit site
We looked seriously at one a few years ago when we were starting out sailing. It is very difficult to get a truely objective opinion on them because they are neither a pure Mobo or a pure sailing yacht and seem to attract derision from both sides.

From the raggie point of view, they are very light and lacking ballast which makes them far less stable than a standard deep keel boat. They will not cope well with bad weather, rough seas and strong winds. I would not risk one for a long crossing of open water - if the weather turns bad unexpectedly, you will have very little safety margin and could very soon find yourself calling for rescue.

From the mobo point of view, the hull shape is not as good as it could be and that mast sticking up is wasting power - you could get a dedicated mobo going faster for less fuel with the same size engine on the back.

But they are relatively cheap for their size and you can haul them out onto a trailer and park them in your garden - thus saving a lot of money in mooring fees. Also, you can hook it up to the back of your car and drag it all the way down to the Med for your summer holidays - It would take us a couple of weeks just to get our deep keeled yacht down there. If you have easy access to decent areas of sheltered waters and you are looking for a fun boat for long weekends, then it is a valid option, just don't buy one with ambitions to sail it long distances far off-shore - view it as a dinghy with a roof and galley which, with a big enough outboard, can just about pull a water skier!

doug748

Visit site
I agree with snowleopard.

I saw one at sea with the sails up once. It looked spectacularly slab sided and was moving very slowly. Not the boat to be caught out in over F5 but I guess that is the point of the 50hp outboard. I would not like to have to bring one into a marina in a breeze. A lot of internal space though.

doug748

Visit site
I have seen that video before.

It does not accord with my experience of 50kt winds. Granted this is mainly confined to being told to get the washing off the line, but, never the less, I have had a few scary moments.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Any thread on the Macgregor will attract lots of posts along the lines of "I knew someone who had one" and "I saw one once" - yet they sell new in the hundreds each year - surely that says something? We are all so snobby about Macs, I know they are a popular niche boat for sheltered and coastal cruising but every thread on them has to have its share of "not much of a long distance passage maker". If the Contessa is so brilliant and the Mac is so dreadful, how come they only make 3 Contessas a year :rolleyes:

Boomshanka

Visit site
I've never sailed one so I'm reluctant to join the usual chorus of things that are wrong with them. I have my doubts though on a) watching them in action, and b) stories like these:

newsimgcapsizedyacht1jpg.jpg

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/ferry-in-solent-yacht-rescue-27482.aspx

That's a Mac 26 on its side...

Or this one...

http://www.ne-ts.com/ar/ar-407capsize.html

maby

Visit site
Any thread on the Macgregor will attract lots of posts along the lines of "I knew someone who had one" and "I saw one once" - yet they sell new in the hundreds each year - surely that says something? We are all so snobby about Macs, I know they are a popular niche boat for sheltered and coastal cruising but every thread on them has to have its share of "not much of a long distance passage maker". If the Contessa is so brilliant and the Mac is so dreadful, how come they only make 3 Contessas a year :rolleyes:

Exactly! They fill a requirement very well and if it is your requirement, they will do a better job for you than any more conventional deep-keeled boat. Just be wary of any claims that they are ok for deep water, bad weather sailing - I think they would soon become terrifying - but so is a Wayfarer and that does not stop people buying them.

It is worth mentioning that Hunter (the US one, not the UK one) make a very similar boat that sells as the Legend 27 Edge. We looked at that too and rather preferred it. If you decide to go down the path of a crossover boat, check out the Legend before handing over your hard earned money!

T

timbartlett

I boat tested one for a magazine a few years back (not an IPC title). IIRC, it was the first time any UK magazine had published a test of one.

As soon as the review was published, the phone started ringing and the emails started pouring in, filled with the kind of virulent personal hatred that I had never experienced before (or since, except when I post on YBW Lounge! ;)).

According to roughly 50% of those who contacted me, I had taken the thirty pieces of silver from MacGregor to boost sales of something that was no better than an ugly death trap for the unwary, and I should never sleep easily again for the knowledge of all the people who would surely die as a result of my mendacity.

According to the other 50% I was either a fool or a crook who had either been duped or bribed into slagging off an outstanding product, thus depriving potential owners of many hours of near orgasmic sailing experience, ruining families, and jeopardizing the business that had done so much to bring this epitome of perfection into being, and all because other boatbuilders knew that they couldn't possibly stand up to MacGregor's competition if ever an unbiassed review were to be published.

The fact that the comments were so well balanced made me think I probably got it about right: The MacGregor has good points and bad points: it will suit some people, but not others. Yes, you could probably kill yourself with one. But then again, you can kill yourself with almost anything if you put your mind to it!

maby

Visit site
Also worth pointing out that both MacGregors and Legend Edges are water ballasted and intended to be used with the tanks full. They will, of course, go vastly faster with the tanks empty and there is a group within the user community who risk it - often with hilarious (and disasterous) consequences. The Mac above laying on its side almost certainly has its tanks empty - with full tanks, they are self righting.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I would be quite happy to own one

and also take the flack

but I would rather have a Centaur

Dylan

I have sailed in 50 kt winds (let alone 50mph*) and that vid doesn't show 50 mph winds. Ok, maybe there was one gust that nudged 50, but judging by the sea state we're looking at a F5 - just maybe F6, but I doubt it. There are very few breaking crests and no spray.

47-54 mph is an F9 = "High waves (6-7 m) with dense foam. Wave crests start to roll over. Considerable spray."

Granted there is an impressive left-over swell, but that wasn't shot F9 conditions. Even the background soundtrack tells you that.

*indicative that McG uses mph to describe windspeed, not Beauforts or knots. Seems to conform that the MCG is aimed at those with little or no knowledge of sailing.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
I've never sailed one so I'm reluctant to join the usual chorus of things that are wrong with them. I have my doubts though on a) watching them in action, and b) stories like these:

newsimgcapsizedyacht1jpg.jpg

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/ferry-in-solent-yacht-rescue-27482.aspx

That's a Mac 26 on its side...

Or this one...

http://www.ne-ts.com/ar/ar-407capsize.html

We were actually on the RVYC pontoon when that one sank- he hadn't filled the ballast tank, as he was 'just running up the engine prior to a sale'!
later recovered to the pontoon by Ryde ISR (IMRC)- what a mess of rig-real Z spars- might have a photo somewhere.:)
Superb seamanship by the Ferry Skipper & crew in rv & pick up in quite gusty strong winds. We were scrambling a rib when that happened- not a Club day.

T

timbartlett

...*indicative that McG uses mph to describe windspeed, not Beauforts or knots. Seems to conform that the MCG is aimed at those with little or no knowledge of sailing.
Or possibly indicative that the McGregor is built (and sold in huge numbers) in the USA, where the Beaufort scale is almost unheard of, and mph is regarded as a perfectly valid measure.

Different ships, different cap-tallies.