Mac ENC navigation system cartography

Badger

Visit site
Gents,

I am looking at this system to run on a Mac Air with a GPS dongle. I like charts that look as much like the original Admirality charts as possible. I have only used C - Map in the past on dedicated Raymarine devices.

I need some help deciding what Cartography I should use as the choice eg Vector versus Raster, Navionics, Maptech, Fugawi ? Etc.

Any assistance and comments from users about Mac ENC in General very welcome. Thanks in Advance.

roblpm

Visit site
Gents,

I am looking at this system to run on a Mac Air with a GPS dongle. I like charts that look as much like the original Admirality charts as possible. I have only used C - Map in the past on dedicated Raymarine devices.

I need some help deciding what Cartography I should use as the choice eg Vector versus Raster, Navionics, Maptech, Fugawi ? Etc.

Any assistance and comments from users about Mac ENC in General very welcome. Thanks in Advance.

Buy a windoze laptop for £50

Buy vmh opencpn admiralty charts £50

I have opencpn running on an ancient laptop, works fine!

Mrnotming

Visit site
I've mocked up the system with GPSnavX, Mac enc and I think x traverse charts from Fugawi, but I'm away from my mac-mini atm, so I may be spouting c@ap!
Reefer Jon is a poster I remember on their forum, and I think he is the guru.
iNavx is used on iPhone and iPad.
There is a french guy FrancIS FuSTIER, I think who maintains a web site dedicated to MAC navigation.
I will get back to you in a few days when I have fired up the macs at home.The boat here runs XP as it works, and I'm too far away to easily implement the changover to mac-mini, but do use iNAVx on iPhone also Navionics app.
www.macenc.com

Last edited:

srp

Visit site
The Navionics vector charts never displayed properly on MacEnc when I used it - various bits of the chart were not coloured correctly, and the text was all over the place. When I changed my laptop the charts stopped working and Navionics wanted me to buy new ones rather than give me a code to load the ones I had already purchased. I spent a while trying to figure out a way of getting a code to work but, of course, failed, so contented myself with sending them an email telling them that I thought there service to customers was ****e. I now use my paper charts, which are older but still work, even when I buy a new pencil.
The moral of this story is that I wouldn't recommend Navionics charts to anyone, and I will never be one of their customers again even if hell freezes over.
The X-Traverse charts seem to be the ones recommended by several on the MacEnc forum.

Badger

Visit site
I've mocked up the system with GPSnavX, Mac enc and I think x traverse charts from Fugawi, but I'm away from my mac-mini atm, so I may be spouting c@ap!
Reefer Jon is a poster I remember on their forum, and I think he is the guru.
iNavx is used on iPhone and iPad.
There is a french guy FrancIS FuSTIER, I think who maintains a web site dedicated to MAC navigation.
I will get back to you in a few days when I have fired up the macs at home.The boat here runs XP as it works, and I'm too far away to easily implement the changover to mac-mini, but do use iNAVx on iPhone also Navionics app.
www.macenc.com

That sounds really interesting. thanks.

Badger

Visit site
The Navionics vector charts never displayed properly on MacEnc when I used it - various bits of the chart were not coloured correctly, and the text was all over the place. When I changed my laptop the charts stopped working and Navionics wanted me to buy new ones rather than give me a code to load the ones I had already purchased. I spent a while trying to figure out a way of getting a code to work but, of course, failed, so contented myself with sending them an email telling them that I thought there service to customers was ****e. I now use my paper charts, which are older but still work, even when I buy a new pencil.
The moral of this story is that I wouldn't recommend Navionics charts to anyone, and I will never be one of their customers again even if hell freezes over.
The X-Traverse charts seem to be the ones recommended by several on the MacEnc forum.

Thanks, useful feedback.

Badger

Visit site
ADMIRALTY Vector Chart Service

Did a bit more searching on the Mac ENC website and under the compatibility section there is a link to UKHO and the AVCS section along with the statement, MacENC™ is compatible with S-57/S-63 ENC vector charts http://www.ukho.gov.uk/ProductsandServices/ElectronicCharts/Pages/AVCS.aspx

I found the UKHO website hard work. They do not list MacENC in their system compatibility section. It also looks like the charts are only available on DVD. I asked one of their agents about the Mac version of the DVD and he said its windows only ?

This is the Mac ENC compatibility page http://www.gpsnavx.com/MacENC/index.php?page=Compatibility

I have sent them an email.