Lyonesse of Fowey

Will

Visit site
Anybody seen this old girl recently? She's a Mounts Bay lugger, now rigged as a gaff ketch. She moved from the westcountry to the Thames (Brent lock) 2 or 3 years ago, but isn't there any more. Possibly in Brighton area? Very distinctive, 42' on deck, 52' oa, with a varnished doghouse midships. I'd like to trace her as i spent many a happy pootle round about the Channel aboard. Cheers...

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Will,
I had a look this afternoon, and it is not Lyonesse of Fowey, but Pioneer - registered (cancelled) in Penzance.

Isn't, or wasn't, it Lyonesse that went up the Thames to the Pool of London, to protest against fishing policy in days gone by?? Or am I thinking of another fishing boat with a similar name?

Good luck in your search.

regards,
Philip

Will

Visit site
Not as far as I'm aware, though she did have a somewhat chequered history. Thank you for looking anyway, it's amazing how difficult it can be to trace a boat. Somebody must have seen her - if she's not in the westcountry she'll look like a fish out of water. Trouble is as she's now over 80 years old, i hope she's not matchsticks! Having said that, in those days they didn't half know how to build a ship.....

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
We've still got a few oldies down here. At the Gaffers and Luggers boatyard, they have an old Belgium built boat that they have done up. It was built during the war in Belgium by the older generation that were left there. It was built on the lines of an old sailing boat, and is very fine below the water. Goes like a bomb under sail, though presently under partial rebuild - above the waterline where rain water does the damage. They rescued her from Newlyn, and almost lost her while under tow to Falmouth/Tregatreath. Very seaworthy now, and went to Brest a couple of years ago.

The old Saint Ives built Barnabus is a regular user of the slip to do the bottom jobs before every season.

Some of the old gaffers are VERY old, but still dredging - under sail - for oysters during the winter.

Why don't you try posting your request on the Classic Boat forum. There may be someone there who may know where "your" boat is.

regards,
Philip

G

There is, or was, a vessel resembling your description in Milford Haven Marina (and the name seems to ring a bell) she was for sale with the brokers there - I checked their website last night and it is no longer listed, so presumably either sold or withrawn from sale.
If SWMBO lets me out to play in time this afternoon, I'll try to pop down and take a look.

Regards, Rob.

G

Found Her ! ( I think )

Went to Milford on the way to the boat this afternoon.

The boat I was thinking of is still there - Lyonesse PZ 181, is that her?

She has been in Milford for some time and was looking rather neglected , but it looks as if some remedial work has been started which suggests that she may have been sold recently. The brokerage ( www.boatshed.co.uk ) or marina office (01646 696312 or 696313 )might be able to tell you more.

Regards, Rob.

Will

Visit site
Re: Found Her ! ( I think )

Rob
Thank you for taking the trouble. She hasn't been registered for 40 years or so although the last reg may have been repainted on the bows, with a red line through it? Some of the more enthusiastic classic owners seem to do this. I looked at the brokers website but no joy so far. Wonder if you'd mind giving me a brief description as I'm not a million miles from Milford and am quite tempted to pop down and have a look. The "of Fowey" bit is part of the registered name and not just a port of registry - Lyonesse has i believe always been a popular name for fishing boats built in Cornwall, although I'm pretty certain that this one must be the oldest still afloat, as she was launched in 1921.
Cheers, its much appreciated, Will

Will

Visit site
We used to keep the Lyonesse at Mylor, about '95/'96 ish, at which time the Looe and Mount Bay luggers were numerous in the area - Barnabus, White Heather, Girl Sybil, Deu Kerens and so on. They seem to have all been dispersed - I saw Girl Sybil working out of Norfolk last year which didn't seem right at all - proper Cornish boats belong down here. Hence I'm hoping that the Lyonesse aint rotting in creek on the East coast. Hope Mr Heard is as successful as ever - now there's a proper boatbuilder....
Cheers
Will

G

Re: Found Her ! ( I think )

Will,

The name Lyonesse is carved on each bow together with a bit of scrollwork, no mention of Fowey there but I'd expect that to be on the transom, which is plain at present.
Pretty much as you describe, two masts,large varnished wheelhouse amidships.
Painted Navy-ish blue. PZ81 painted large on the sides, no red line through.

I did try looking for a Milford marina website in case she was lurking in any of the photos, but can't find one. I've got a pamphlet from the marina lying around the house somewhere,if I can find it,and if she appears in any of the pics I'll scan it and send you private e-mail. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not having taken my little digital camera this afternoon.

Regards, Rob.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I've had my (three) boats moored off Mylor since the late 80's, so that is why the name Lyonesse rang a bell.

I layup my Konsort at Gaffers and Luggers. The problem with the Konsort is that she is 6 inches beamier than the boat lift. A benefit in my case, as he gets it craned onto a corner kept for me each winter. Right next to the power sockets.

Martin is doing very well. So well in fact, that he has had to extend his new canvas building shed to accommodate his newest newbuild. I'm not sure of the length, but suffice to say it is enormous!! About 60 or so (maybe more) feet. The mould is being lofted now. In fact, PBO ought to be down there to do a series of photos on it.

Martins rebuilt Belgium boat is Donna Kapel. Barnabus hasn't appeared on the slip yet, though she is moored on the beach - behind my boat - for the winter.

He's got a bit of work to repair my rubbing strake - when he can get around to it.

As for White Heather, she was my wifes' uncles' boat in the '20's or '30's. I don't know if he had her built, but my wifes' relatives in Michigan would like a photo of her. So if you see her, let me know. I think she is somewhere east of Falmouth, maybe Fowey, Looe or Plymouth. I think there may be an old photo in the Saint Ives museum.

Anyway, I hope the Lyonesse is your Lyonesse.

regards,
Philip