Lube for sticky hatch slides?

G

I have a 1975 vintage Westerly Pentland with sticking main and stern hatch slides. Have tried marine grease, WD40, silicon lube - all to little or no avail. Whatever goes in turns black ( from the aluminium) and eventually congeals. I can't believe there isn't a really simple solution I am missing. Help!

G

Silicon Spray available from most Halfords / Les Smith's etc. - it is normally marketed to prevent Door Sticking to rubber in winter etc.

It is best to spray onto cloth and then wipe the surface .... otherwise it gets everywhere !

If you cannot get that, then good old Candle wax ..... remember the ggood old days of rubbing a candle on the Park Slide ????? Same here .... rub a candle along the slide. Same for sail slides !

G

Once the anodising has worn a bit, the channel becomes incredibly rough. Short of replacing the channel, try this.

Remove and clean out the channel.

Get some formica edging strip (glue on rather than iron on), and epoxy-it on the lower edge.

Re-assemble clean.

Use PTFE spray lube. It's good for the luff groove too. Much better than silicone based sprays. Lubricate a few times each season. The formica is tough, but still needs help tp prevent wear.

G

Lakeland Plastics

produce a magic, tiny little bottle with liquid silicone it. The smallest amount works wonders on lots of boaty parts - mast tracks, hatches etc.

The firm is based in Windermere, but has a catalogue and almost certainly a web site.

G

WILL PTFE OR SILICONE LIBRICANTS APPLIED TO THE LUFF GROOVE NOT CAUSE BLACK SCUM TO FORM ON THE SAILS?