Low power-draw (1.5a) laptop

demonboy

www.youtube.com
Hello again!

Looking for a cheap laptop that is low on power, say 1.5a. Been trying to find one with serial port but looks like I'll have to get a converter (see my previous thread). Not bothered by performance but power-hungriness and cost are the major factors. These laptop websites never give the power performance tech spec, which is kinda annoying. As per previous thread it's to run maxsea/cmap with my GPS.

Anyone aware of some post-Christmas bargains out there? £350 tops. Acer's normally a good bet but I can't find a decent spec for any of their models.

Thanks!

westhinder

Visit site
Does that mean it can be plugged direct into the boat's 12V supply? I'm looking for a laptop that can do just that, so I won't need a converter.

Billjratt

Visit site
If low power is the only consideration. try to find an old monochrome, and take the internal battery out (it'll probably be knackered anyway.) some of the old IBM models worked on raw battery power. The new processors and video packs are greedy, avoid them.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
OK, made a decision. Bit the bullet and bought a new Dell. Took advantage of a £50 off offer which ran out today. Draws 1.5a max and paid a bit extra for a 9-cell li battery that boasts up to 5 hours life per charge.

Base
Intel® Celeron® Processor 520 (1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2-cache)
Memory
1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
Video Card
Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
Hard Drive
160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

All for £379! After looking at refurbs and comparing the cheap Acers and Accents and being happy with my current Dell I thought this Inspiron 9400 for this spec and price weren't half bad. No serial port, mind, but it appears no new cheapie computer has serial so I'm damn well hoping the serial to USB cable I end up purchasing works!

Hope info is of some help.