Looking for case of yachtsman fined when he reported a small spillage

Mrs FG

Visit site
A few months/years back, I'm sure I saw a discussion on a yachtsman who had dutifully reported to the authorities that he'd accidentally spilled a modest amount of diesel or other fuel or oil in Portsmouth(?)/Southampton(?) harbour and was threatened with prosecution - when if he'd said nothing, it probably would have gone unnoticed.
I want to refer to this in my maritime law course essay (due in on Friday) - please could someone remind me where the thread is?

Thanks awfully.

prv

Visit site
Don't know about the owning up, but I read a story a few years ago of a yacht in Southampton being fined thousands for a very small spill. I remember the yacht's name because we had once chartered her, so this might help you look up the story. The yacht's name was "Yemanja".

Pete

Uricanejack

Visit site
I have to admit I am not up to date on British regulations.
I Think they are fairly standard round the world..
Having been in the unfortunate position of reporting an oil spill to the USCG.

Fines or other penalties are for a failure to comply with regulations.

A small amount reported in a timely manner.
E.g. A cup full of diesel on deck and a thimble full in the water.
Detailing. What, where, when, how much, what you are doing about it and precautions you are taking to prevent future reoccurrence.
They will probabaly just thank you for the report.
Fine extremely unlikely.

Fail to report, the USCG spots it or its reported the USCG by someone else. You can bet they will not be polite or friendly about it.
Fine likely.

1/2 a billion barrels of crude into the Gulf Of Mexico. They might take a tougher line.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yachting press reported a case where a chap spilled a small amount of fuel in a greek harbour that was full of effluent & smelled so bad so that few visiting yachtsmen stayed there for long if at all
He was seen & reported , dragged to court & fined some ridiculously large amount. The magistrate was reported as saying " We are fed up with you British coming here & polluting our harbour"

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
A yacht in Tidemill Marina at Woodbridge after a moderately chaotic arrival, then proceeded to pump a large amount of oily/diesel waste from his bilges. This produced a significant diesel slick right across the marina. I complained to the HM and he was uninterested, just said "If 2 people complain we might look into it."

A week or so later we again found ourselves surrounded by a diesel slick at Titchmarsh Marina. Was it something we said?