Long lasting ensign

Zing

Visit site
I need a new ensign. I'd like to get a super long lasting, no fade, tough as old boots version so I can leave it up all day and night in all weathers and where it stays looking good - forever ideally. Where and what can I buy that is as close to that spec as possible? I don't mind paying even a lot more, but it needs to not self destruct early or look awful very quickly as many in the past have done.

jbweston

Visit site
Cue jokes about French flags being plain white........
The French naval ensign before the Revolution in 1789 was plain white, and it was again from 1815 to 1830.
French ensigns - Wikipedia

I follow what I believe to be the Pepys innovation - no ensign at night which saves roughly half the wear. And no ensign while the boat is tucked up in her berth and I'm at home, which saves 80% or more of the remaining half.

ylop

Visit site
The French naval ensign before the Revolution in 1789 was plain white, and it was again from 1815 to 1830.
French ensigns - Wikipedia

I follow what I believe to be the Pepys innovation - no ensign at night which saves roughly half the wear. And no ensign while the boat is tucked up in her berth and I'm at home, which saves 80% or more of the remaining half.
You could go further and only fly it as required by the merchant shipping act: on entering/leaving foreign ports and when requested by a naval vessel!

Zing

Visit site
You could go further and only fly it as required by the merchant shipping act: on entering/leaving foreign ports and when requested by a naval vessel!
Is that so? Would suit me well. I don’t see that done in Italy. Every boat bigger than a dinghy flies one.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Jimmy Green supplied ours, it seems to be holding up well, in spite of the ensign staff being dislodged and falling into the hamble a couple of years ago. Our esteemed Captain of cruising recovered it in his RIB.

ylop

Visit site
Is that so? Would suit me well. I don’t see that done in Italy. Every boat bigger than a dinghy flies one.
Italian waters may have their own rules, and may mean any water police / CG come asking questions if you are not - but certainly U.K. vessels do not *require* to display an ensign in UK or international waters, except if requested to do so by one of HM vessels.

flaming

Visit site
I need a new ensign. I'd like to get a super long lasting, no fade, tough as old boots version so I can leave it up all day and night in all weathers and where it stays looking good - forever ideally. Where and what can I buy that is as close to that spec as possible? I don't mind paying even a lot more, but it needs to not self destruct early or look awful very quickly as many in the past have done.
Adopt the French approach.

Buy boat. Buy small cheap ensign. Attach ensign to backstay, leave there permantly. When Ensign worn so that tricolour has become bicolour, upgrade boat.

jbweston

Visit site
Yes, under Section 5 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995.

With the rather odd twiddly bit of an addition that the vessel must hoist the ensign on entering and leaving a British port if she is 50 gross tons or over (but not if she's both British registered under Part II of the Act and under 24 metres).

That's the law, but the old convention (not law) is that yachts that aren't racing wear their ensigns from 0800 hours in summer or 0900 in winter until sunset or 2100 hours if earlier. How much you follow that depends on how traditional and punctilious you want to be, and whether you can be faffed. You can save a lot of wear and tear by following it only approximately.

The RYA website says 'It is recommended that the ensign is worn at all times in daylight, especially when near to or in sight of land or another vessel', but that's just their view, not law. Nowadays a lot of people seem to leave the ensign hoisted all the time, even when they've gone off home.

Aja

Visit site
Italian waters may have their own rules, and may mean any water police / CG come asking questions if you are not - but certainly U.K. vessels do not *require* to display an ensign in UK or international waters, except if requested to do so by one of HM vessels.
I always understood that British registered vessels in foreign waters maybe specifically foreign ports are not required to strike their ensigns at dusk.

I could be way out on this.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I think you're asking for the (almost) impossible.

I'm with the other posters in the 'If I were you I wouldn't start from here' camp.

If you don't want to take it down at night and/or when not aboard, then consider buying cheap printed ones and replacing annually (or whatever). You might even get a discount for buying in bulk.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I always understood that British registered vessels in foreign waters maybe specifically foreign ports are not required to strike their ensigns at dusk.

I could be way out on this.
You are not required to. It’s a long standing tradition, that’s all, and it does save wear and tear.