Lombardini engines - feedback good or bad?

owen-cox

Visit site
Not sure that is feasible on the turbo version as it has an aluminium oil cooler in the circuit which is a weak point for corrosion even with fresh water cooling. The whole engine is a bit a bit of a dogs breakfast and messing about with it will only make it worse.

Ah yes the turbo is very different I see now from the cooling system drawings I found online.

Jomo

Visit site
Not sure that is feasible on the turbo version as it has an aluminium oil cooler in the circuit which is a weak point for corrosion even with fresh water cooling. The whole engine is a bit a bit of a dogs breakfast and messing about with it will only make it worse.

Yep, I would have a go at getting an engine that still runs back into working order, if I didn't suspect that there'll be another batch of problems after clearing these. And of course, the oil cooler has been in the collateral damage area of the heat exchanger.

Tranona

Visit site
Jomo has not been here for over 4 years so no follow up on what he did.

As you can see I contributed to the original thread and most of the comments still apply except that unlike in 2016, Lombardini no longer has a dealer network in the UK. Quite a few have been sold as replacement engines in the past (when Golden Arrow were the dealer) mainly for the reasons given - small, light and lower cost. Owners seem to be happy - but the numbers are low.

The main players are still Volvo, Yanmar, Beta and Nanni, plus the Mitsubishi based Vetus and Sole. The price differential noted no longer really exist and the main 4 particularly are close in price - although the general level has gone up. In terms of performance, reliability and economy there is little to choose between them, so you need to look at which one suits your installation best in terms of layout and support from dealer/installer.