Lohi 34

findus

Visit site
Has anyone sailed or owned a Lohi 34? I have also seen a boat that looks the same called a Joemarin 34.

Hi Hial,

We just sold our Lohi 34 after 3 years. Nice lines, very solidly build. Thick solid GRP hull, balsa cored deck
We liked her very much and just upgraded to a larger centre cockpit. The cockpit is very deep and protected and was great for the kids. We had a wooden doghouse, which gave it a very protected feel and with a nice cockpit cover almost another cabin and nicer access to the aft cabin.
As you said, Joemarin34 and Lohi 34 same boat. There is one for sale at Deacons in Swanwick. That is where I realised, that they are the same.
Not many Lohis build, I read about 70. Most of them over on the continent, probably mainly in northern Europe.
She sailes well but is of course a 70s design, quite narrow with just over 3m beam.
I have single handed her several times (with autopilot) which worked very well.
People always mentioned her nice lines.

Findus

Sire

Visit site
You are of course correct that they were made in Finland. There is some information here (in Finnish):
http://keskustelu.suomi24.fi/node/4043316

The original question is "What is the difference between Lohi 34 and Joemarin 34
From that thread:
First there was Joemarin 34, then after a while JOE 34 and finally LOHI 34.

The boat was marketed in the 70's as a novel motor sailer, however Hans Groop's hull shape meant that the boat went well under sail. The interior was designed by (among others) Guy Christer Lönngren.

Joemarin and Joe boats were made in Joensuu, At Joemarin's yard. The firm went quite quickly bankrupt, and the molds were sold to LOHI OY. They made some changes to the model. According to rumour LOHI OY rationalised production for example in relation to material strengths. I don't know if this is true, they are both strong boats.

The text goes on to describe differences in the rear cabin etc. Another poster later on mentions that Lohi also made changes over time, later models have for example a higher cockpit. Yet another poster says that they were also made for export, but doesn't provide any more information.

Sire

Visit site
Thanks Sire, that is very intresting. Have you seen many for sale in Finland?

No - but then I haven't been looking. A search on two popular Finnish online boating marketplaces shows a few for sale:
Veneporssi has one

And Nettivene - which has an interface that can be used in English - has two here.

There is also a Joemarin version here a Joe 34 on Nettivene so there are examples about.

Lohi has been around since the 60's, I just looked online to see if there was a website that might be of use to you, but it (lohi.fi) seems to be down - I don't know if that is permanent or not; I haven't looked them up since about four years ago when I bought my own boat, a Terhisail 530 that was also manufactured by Lohi.

Speaking of which I'm going to head off to that worthy vessel now - which is on the water again after a year ashore. PM me if you'd like anything translated and I'll do my best to help. I suspect there are genuine Finnish members on here too; if so they might be able to provide more pertinent advice about the actual boats.

Last edited:

Sire

Visit site
Thanks for the links and offer to translate.
You are very welcome. I was out sailing this evening on my boat with a friend who takes part in local races on an H-boat (a kind of folkboat, co-incidentally another Hans Groop design) as a helmsman, and knows other sailing people locally. It's possible that he can find out more about the Lohi 34, in which case I'll let you know.

retep

Visit site
Has anyone sailed or owned a Lohi 34? I have also seen a boat that looks the same called a Joemarin 34.

I own a LOHI 34 since 2012 and was 1 year sailing in the mediterainian with her. Should you need more details on a LOHI 34, let me know what you are interested in. Maybe I can help with some information.