Lofrans Project 1000 windlass

GunfleetSand

Visit site
Considering a used one of the above (vertical with drum is my required version) read they have solenoid built into motor which if fails is replacement motor. Also that mounting bolt holes can be corroded.

Is it worth waiting for a better brand to come along or are these as good as the rest out there?

Have an old Simpson Lawrence Anchor Man and it’s built like a tank

GunfleetSand

Visit site
Or put another way, are there any modern or more recent windlass that are considered more durable and simplest to buy spares for than the rest

Lewmar
Quick
Lofrans

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I can't speak for the vertical Lofrans windlass but I inherited a knackered horizontal one which was aluminium cased with stainless cap screws and bolts every one of which had corroded and required drilling and helicoiling the hole. The gasket providing a seal to the motor housing had perished and let in water resulting in a useless motor in fact nothing worked the original deck switches were corroded and the remote solenoid box was also US. I did rebuild it at virtually the cost of a new one, should have bitten the bullet and bought a Lewmar.

Neeves

Visit site
Have a look at Maxwell reliable product, excellent service and support.

Given the abuse that windlass receive, how many people service their windlass, most are bullet proof. However as mentioned in post 3 some manage to mix aluminium and stainless components with inevitable results.

I'd suggest narrow down your wish list and then make a search here, using the search function, for each of your favourite brands - you will find some nightmare reports that will allow you narrow your search down - quickly.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
Generally speaking Lofrans are the best of the lower end windlasses. The big weakness is the aluminium housings on the popular horizontal models, but the X1 you are looking at can also be specified with a chrome plated bronze housing so should not have a corrosion problem.

There is not AFAIK any similar windlass on the market with a drum. I can see the attraction if you are used to an Anchorman, but in reality there is little advantage in a drum now that gypsies are deigned to take mixed rodes.

I don't think it is a big seller and the basic model is low power (500w) with option of 800w. I suspect the bronze 800w with drum is a rare animal. At this price/size level the alternatives are South Pacific VA and Lewmar V700. Neither has the option of a drum, but the Lewmar has a stainless rather than aluminium body.

GunfleetSand

Visit site
Now that you’ve mentioned the drum I’m asking myself about the best position for the winch. Another owner of similar boat has removed central double cleat post type thing and replaced with drum which serves as replacement post.

However I see that not enough room for anchor in his set up and more typically this boat (Hardy Pilot/Fisher 20) owners for a box or timber/metal plate and windlass to that.

So in fact in this set up the winch could be horizontal or vertical, it’s not straightforward in either case.

Noted re casings this X1/project is 1000w. Owner says bolts cut off in removal process, read corroded in body require helicoil!

I’ve had a bit of a dive in the archives to see which winch is is the go to, bit more reading ahead.

If winch mounted on plate or box bit further back then double cleat post could remain which is ideal for swinging Maureen. Few photos for reference, mine without and others with

Thanks for replies

Attachments

• IMG_5202.jpeg
    IMG_5202.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • ec6b72df-aef7-4dfa-a827-76c2c8bbffe8.jpeg
    ec6b72df-aef7-4dfa-a827-76c2c8bbffe8.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4500.png
    IMG_4500.png
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4499.png
    IMG_4499.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4416.jpeg
    IMG_4416.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4

Neeves

Visit site
Thanks for tips, going to stick to swinging Maureen by the cleats and figure a way to keep her cleats and add a wench winch
If you are single then adding a wench has some major advantages and much more versatile than a winch as they are renowned to be able to multitask (like a Swiss army knife). :). A wench would not be rejected by Maureen who might enjoy the extra attention.

Jonathan