Lodestar Ultralight inflatables

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these? I hear good things about Lodestar in general, but I quite like the idea of a sub-20kg tender.....

Thank you

Graham

Dipper

Visit site
I've just bought a 3D 230 tender. See here http://www.piplers.co.uk/chandlery/...s/3d-marine-superlight-inflatable-tender.html

It's only 13.7kgs and if you take the oars and seat off it goes down to about 12kgs. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. They do make a grey range which has thicker fabric and weighs about 20% more. I'm doing more single handed sailing now and I couldn't lift my previous tender on board myself as it was too big and heavy (30kg). I'm hoping this one will be easy.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these? I hear good things about Lodestar in general, but I quite like the idea of a sub-20kg tender.....

Yes I have one and I am very pleased with it. Good quality, easy to inflate, rows well and not too big and heavy to manhandle on your own.

TrailerSailer

outnumbered.the-russells.net
I've had one for years. Brought if for a different boat but kept it when I sold that one. Light and easy to move and has a good inflatable floor. Seems to last well and although it is really small (1.95m) seems to carry its load well.

arawa

Visit site
I'm on my 5th season with an Ultralight 195. With the inflatable floor and keel it rows well and it's a perfect partner for a 2hp 2-stroke. It's a bit tight for 2 adults but manageable. I am very happy with it.

Ripster

Visit site
I've just bought a 3D 230 tender. See here http://www.piplers.co.uk/chandlery/...s/3d-marine-superlight-inflatable-tender.html

It's only 13.7kgs and if you take the oars and seat off it goes down to about 12kgs. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. They do make a grey range which has thicker fabric and weighs about 20% more. I'm doing more single handed sailing now and I couldn't lift my previous tender on board myself as it was too big and heavy (30kg). I'm hoping this one will be easy.

I bought a 3D250 in black. Very light at 15kg and works fine. Not as good as my previous Honwave but that weighed 40kg!! You do get more splash in the boat if hit a little chop or some wake, but nothing you can't live with. At 15kgs its very light, easy to move about and inflate. Caries 3 of us and some luggage with suzi 2.5hp on fine. Looked at Lodestar and the ultralite plastimo, but got such a good deal on the 3D that I went for that. Its only in its 2nd season, so we'll see how long it lasts in due course. Comes in a handy rucksack type bag and folds up very quickly and easily.

Last edited:

DoubleEnder

Visit site

Does it have an inflatable keel? I think that makes a big difference. I used to have an Excel which was Ok but heavy, but very directionally stable

Blue Fox

Visit site
I have a Lodestar ultralight 250. Quite good. With a 4 hp outboard it planes! (OK, when I'm singlehanded). I used to have a 270 Quicksilver, but this is much better, takes little spray, and the weight is backsaving. Only disadvantage: it is expensive.

asteven221

Visit site
Yes I have one and I am very pleased with it. Good quality, easy to inflate, rows well and not too big and heavy to manhandle on your own.

+1. Had one for 4 years now and it's fine. No complaints. It was the lightest "proper" dingy I could find on the market at the time. I spoke to the Lodestar folk before buying it as it was more expensive than other makes and I wanted to know how the weight saving was achieved.

It's done by removing the rubbing/fendering additions and suchlike. The fabric is (from memory) the same as the rest of the range. You just have to be a little more careful when beaching it and dragging it across stones etc....
With a 4hp Yamaha it'll skoot along planning with 16st of me (on my own) in it.

andyc

Visit site
I have a Lodestar rib 320 ....the words Severe and Osmosis come to mind and never been left in the water!

Fair dues the rest is very good so as long as its not fibreglass keel ,should be alright.