Loctite

macd

Visit site
Non boaty.

I reassembled a pedal cone/nut on a bicycle using blue loctite last night.

This morning the exposed excess had not set at all. Is this normal? Will it have set on the thread?

It was quite liquid when I applied it. Should I have shaken the bottle?

Thread locking compounds set in the absence of oxygen (otherwise, apart from anything else, they'd set in the bottle: that's why it comes only part-full). So you'd expect the exposed Loctite to remain liquid. Where it counts, it's a different matter.

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
In the workshop, when there is any play in the parts being sealed with loctite it is normal practice to spit on the joint so that the air is excluded and all the loctite will set. The manufacturers sell small spray bottles for the same purpose!

Rob.

Heckler

Visit site
In the workshop, when there is any play in the parts being sealed with loctite it is normal practice to spit on the joint so that the air is excluded and all the loctite will set. The manufacturers sell small spray bottles for the same purpose!

Rob.
Loctite sets by reacting with water in the atmosphere
Stu
Or is it silicone?

macd

Visit site

rob2

Visit site
Wot! bottles of spit??? :D:D

sorry 'bout that ;)

Marvellous idea! I can't remember what's in the bottles, something organic I believe so it evaporates off after the stuff has cured. I knew one guy who had a whole heap of hoses to make up, so he dropped them all in a bucket of water - he was all out of spit! (probably sold it all...)

Rob.

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
Quite normal in my experience, explanation as Macd says. If worried, why not disassemble to find out? Not a major task to remake the joint.

'Tis in this case. The bearings are loose and tiny. You have to 'stick' them in with grease and try not to sneeze when assembling.

Thanks for the explanation guys. I'll replace the pedal with confidence.