lock practice

ianc1200

Visit site
Every boat is different of course, but I never will have the stern pushed off. Push off the bow, then turn the wheel back towards the bank/lock side, and you are then moving parallel to the bank/lockside.

This works well on a displacement round bilge type boat, and may not be the same for a lighter hard chine craft.

IanC

Gavi

Visit site
Apologies for labouring the Inland Helmsman bit, but you'll get a lot more out of your day than just going through a lock. You'll get some good experience of doing a pin mooring (which is the next thing you'll want to do), MoB (which hopefully isn't - but wouldn't it be great to know what to do?), general behaviour and handling. Well worth it.

I'll shut up now.

Well, actually, I won't. I'm around on Saturday and PH is not far from me if you want a hand. Just remember that there is a rugby match in the late afternoon!

DWT

Visit site
Lots of good advice here, but the only way to learn is to have a go. The first time is nerve wracking, but after a few goes you will wonder what all the fuss was about and by the end of the season you will be quietly slipping into the locks to the admiration of the hire boaters who will be in full panic mode.

I tend to agree with you that getting into your berth at the marina is much more difficult than entering a lock, especially in any sort of wind. If you have mastered that then a lock will be a breeze. And remember, if you do make a mess of it the lock keeper will have seen it all before and worse, plus everyone on here has been there and done that at some time or other!