Lock for Honda 20HP outboard

Irish Rover

Visit site
I've just ordered a new tender, console and 20 HP Honda outbound for my new to me boat. I want to fit a proper insurance approved lock on the outbound. Motorloc products look like a good option but I can't figure out which locks will fit the Honda 20HP, ideally without any drilling or cutting. Any recommendations welcome.
I found a previous thread on this subject which went off the rails about the effectiveness of locks etc. This rig is costing a pretty penny in Croatia with their 25% VAT and I just want to be sure it will be covered by my insurance if someone nicks it.

VicS

Visit site
Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site

Irish Rover

Visit site
I've just fitted 2 of the pacific locks Outboard Motor Loc Ltd bolt locks for through-transom bolted outboard engines to protect from outboard motor theft for my Honda 30 that uses 10mm bolts

You will need to ask for the 'bush' for 10mm bolts which came FOC. The locks are well made and quite chunky lumps of stainless steel. You just use existing bolts bolts and preferably nylocs.

Not to sure whether insurance approved but they are superior to my old locks !
Thank you. I was looking at those nutlock ones and they look very neat. I ordered the Highfield tender and outboard sight unseen so I don't know if it will be bolted through the transom or not and I won't see it for another 2 weeks to check. I'll email the guy I ordered it from and see if he can enlighten me but he won't be available again until Tuesday.
My outboard is 20HP with remote steering and I note yours is 30HP but the motorloc site says Pacific locks you linked to suit 40HP and up. Is this an issue?

Boathook

Visit site
Thank you. I was looking at those nutlock ones and they look very neat. I ordered the Highfield tender and outboard sight unseen so I don't know if it will be bolted through the transom or not and I won't see it for another 2 weeks to check. I'll email the guy I ordered it from and see if he can enlighten me but he won't be available again until Tuesday.
My outboard is 20HP with remote steering and I note yours is 30HP but the motorloc site says Pacific locks you linked to suit 40HP and up. Is this an issue?
No issue as long as the 20hp is secured by 10mm bolts. You could get away with the bush and 8mm bolts but might well need to use a washer.
I assume that the 20hp honda does have holes for mounting bolts and not rely upon the 'thumb' screws.

Irish Rover

Visit site
No issue as long as the 20hp is secured by 10mm bolts. You could get away with the bush and 8mm bolts but might well need to use a washer.
I assume that the 20hp honda does have holes for mounting bolts and not rely upon the 'thumb' screws.
I assume so as well but does the Highfield CL340 have, I don't know..

Boathook

Visit site

chris-s

Visit site
For the guy who turns up with a sawsall to just hack your transom apart, tuck a silenced Apple air tag under the the engine cover somewhere out of sight.

Irish Rover

Visit site

Irish Rover

Visit site
For the guy who turns up with a sawsall to just hack your transom apart, tuck a silenced Apple air tag under the the engine cover somewhere out of sight.
If someone does that, and takes off with the outboard, then it's au revoir. I'm not going to be chasing after him, and I just want proof for the insurance company that it was appropriately secured.

Boathook

Visit site
I get the impression that air tags are good if you have lost something but if it is stolen ...

Not many places to place an air tag on a small outboard either.