Loch Ryan Anchorages - Experiences

Chuteman

Visit site
A while back I asked for Route / Anchorages suggestions from Ardrossan to Falmouth. Rec'vd plenty of good advice & ideas which I have with me. One early option was Loch Ryan which I now have at the top of my list for several reasons.

Finally (don't ask) it's time to depart.....just as the high over Scotland gets pushed out by an Atlantic low.....it could not wait another 2 weeks??? ;)

Since I've never been to Loch Ryan - there appears to be several anchor locations to choose from - some with complimentary ferry wake - ie; Lady Bay

The Wig looked like a pretty protected albeit shallow area with extra nm access thrown in.
Looking for personal experiences & insights.
Thanks in advance

dt4134

Visit site
Have anchored in The Wig. No problems with ferry wash. In Northerlies the swell does seem to hook round into the bay so you roll a bit.

I read that holding was poor but I actually found the anchor dug in very positively, very quickly.

There's also a new marina in Stranraer that I've not tried yet.

Chuteman

Visit site
dt4134 - Thanks for info & details ......I also read about poor holding in spots = weed patches....which might not really easy to see.......I would prefer to anchor vs marina but that could be a backup plan. Thanks again

SAMYL - Portpatrick sound very interesting BUT all the footnotes concern me PLUS I'm drawing 2m.....trying to keep it simple, safe & straightforward.

dunedin

Visit site
Like you, Portpatrick for us has been a bit too daunting at low tide for 2m draft

Stranraer Marina is small, but has everything one needs and friendly reception in our experience. But it is a bit if a detour there and back if on transit.

We have anchored twice - once in settled southerlies in the bay just east of the Lighthouse outside Loch Ryan. Needs good anchor alarm and weather eye in case changes, but was great for us.
Also anchored on the bank north east of the Wig - that worked, but was unscheduled and prompted by complete power failure in the dark losing depth, gps plotter and lights - when going up an unknown route at dead low water springs (and finding the admiralty paper folios omit Loch Ryan so no paper backup). Now have Imray chart plus 3 separate backup electronic charting options - android phone, iPad and laptop plus dongle

Chuteman

Visit site
Sounds Good

dunedin - thanks very much for the experiences & specifics. The Wig experience w/ no power = Yikes....not sure my heart can take that one.
Just met an experienced couple who have anchored both the Wig & Lady Bay (which they felt worked fine - it was during a southerly.

Detour - yes, they also said going all the way to the Wig does add time when on transit which I am........conditions certainly dictate

Angus - Thanks for Marina info & comment.......especially a Lovely - you would not fool an "out of towner" now would You? I'll look into it also.

Appreciate the info - thanks again to You both:cool: (another sunny day in Scotland but front coming thru soon........very nice while it lasted)

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Angus - Thanks for Marina info & comment.......especially a Lovely - you would not fool an "out of towner" now would You?

Certainly not. Lesley is the female harbour master at Stranraer. She has a soft Galloway accent that I can listen to all day. I seem to find plenty of reasons to visit her office in the clock tower when I'm there :)

It's a bit of a detour up the loch, but easy to get into to in grotty weather or the dark.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Lady's Bay

I have anchored here in the past and found it OK although its not a snug cove. I wasnt bothered by Ferry Wash. No experience of the new marina at Stranraer but I stayed alongside overnight in Stranraer when they were putting the new pontoons in. Just would say it feels a long way down Loch Ryan.

Chuteman

Visit site
OK - Sounds like a Possibility

Angus - :)......agree on detour but security at the marina might be well worth it given some of the shifting winds in the forecasts

dansaskip ....Lady Bay = "not snug" matches other reports and a little concerning given forecasts..........agree about distance down the Loch

spoke to another local person very familiar with the area......he felt ferry
wakes are frequent & considerable + felt the distance down the Loch was a negative especially watching the depth + my draft (2m) vs waiting out the weather here (ie; Monday)...then using the time/miles & better weather to jump all the way to Bangor.........

So I plan to take all the good info, experiences & ideas - sit down this afternoon and sort through them all along with the chart, pilot, etc, etc......and hopefully the plan will firm up.............while the wind is already picking up, clouding up and a few sprinkles now & then

Thanks Again to ALL..........will update once I start moving

dgadee

Visit site
Was in portpatrick the other day. Seems to be underused these days. £14 for 30 foot boat. You certainly need long shore lines. But village is much nicer than stranraer.

Chuteman

Visit site
Actual Arrival

After sitting in Ardrossan over the weekend with periods of sunshine & then
winds/rain.......and also giving Monday up given mixed forecasts.......Decided
to get on the move Tuesday.
Given the delays, also decided to bypass Loch Ryan (although it was an active alternative - even though with Northerly winds it might have been a little uncomfortable) and sail to Bangor N.I.
It was quite a sail with plenty of winds, waves and heavy overcast but it was good to get moving. Hit the tidal stream which was critical yesterday given all the North in the winds......
So will do a little sightseeing today, check a few things on the boat and continue on tomorrow toward Falmouth......which I will re-visit the original post of various options - will continue to work on overall Nav plan too.

BTW - I did see Lock Ryan in the distance & heavy overcast yesterday....and a couple of high speed ferries in the distance......as I was sailing straight to
Bangor......

Thanks again to all for the ideas, experiences and assistance:cool:

zlod

Visit site
I know it's too late for Chuteman, but my experiences of Loch Ryan were...

- Lady Bay seemed fine to me. Maybe I was so tired when I got there that I didn't notice any ferry wash that was there: out like a light! Wash certainly didn't seem like a big issue to me. It was one of my first nights at anchor and the holding seemed fine. It wasn't very windy when I was there.

- Stranraer. When I was there, there was a howling south easterly. I had been intending to anchor at Lady Bay, but the wave conditions there were really not on for it. Stranraer seemed like the only suitable place in those winds, despite it being a long way down the loch. Getting in there at night seemed fine. It looks all very new. It wasn't exactly obvious to me how to get into or out of the marina (i.e. into Stranraer itself) after closing time. This might have been down to stupidity on my behalf.... In those SE winds, it may have been possible to anchor by the lighthouse, but it was dark and I couldn't decipher the Clyde Cruising Club guide for that particular location.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
It wasn't exactly obvious to me how to get into or out of the marina (i.e. into Stranraer itself) after closing time.

On the pontoon side of the gate there is a 24 hour council helpline number. You ring them, persuade them that you are a genuine boaty type rather than a local oik, and they give you the gate code.

dt4134

Visit site
I eventually got to visit Stranraer Marina in the Autumn and have meant to update this thread since then.

The marina is easy to find, just follow the main dredged ferry channel into Stranraer and it is to starboard as you go in. Watch out for ferries.

Pontoons take up to 12m in length. Anything larger can go outside the northernmost pontoon. There were northerlies forecast at the time so I didn't fancy that and squeezed onto one of the fingers anyway. It turned out not to be as exposed as I expected to chop from the north. Had no issue with depth at 2.1m. Can't remember what the echo sounder read.

Local seagulls are no better toilet trained than elsewhere and the pontoons could be a bit slippy, so take care with your footing.

Shorepower and water on the pontoons.

As mentioned in a post above, you need a code for the gate, but there is a help centre number to call on a notice just inside the gate.

There are two harbourmasters who both work part-time. The mobile numbers tend to only get answered when they're on duty.

The ferry terminal is nearby and there are overnight sailings, but the noise isn't too bad. Anyway, they're planning to move the terminal to Cairnryan reasonably soonish.

EBoat126

Visit site
I grew up sailing in Loch Ryan, in the good old days when the club at the Wig was very busy.
The Ferries have moved to Cairnryan which is the other side of the sand bar so I guess less wash these days.
The Marina in the town looks good, 5 minute walk to the Chinese.

Aja

Visit site
Stranraer Marina

It is a long way in - but when you do get to the marina - the welcome is very positive. Lesley will meet you and have the forecast and town info all ready for you when you step ashore.

Satisfied customer!

Regards
Donald