Lobster Pots - International report

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Evil thoughts?

Stoppit! You.....you......revolutionary, you!

I would also hide the name of my boat, hide the car and move your family to a safe house!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

zefender

Visit site

I'll have died for a good cause then. My work will be done.

or...I might just let our Tone (the next best thing to God surely) include Lobsters in the huntin ban legislation. Either that, or tellim that foxie huntertype have to go around with dirty oilcans on the 'eds so foxie can see 'em coming, in a flat calm.

ccscott49

Visit site

I'll do you a deal, if I stop moaning about you cuttin' em' loose, you'll not ask for a huntin' ban, I love fresh lobster and crab!! and I want to keep the price down Deal??

charles_reed

Visit site
I think you'll find that most of the ill-marked lobster pots round the UK coasts are dropped by "amateur" potters.

Did you come across the 12 floats with a flag at each end - you get them found from St Vincent to Algeciras - don't try aand go between them.

The deepest pots I came across were in 120m of water, off Sines. Wouldn't have liked to haul those.

zefender

Visit site
I'm sure you're right about the amateur bit - maybe some kind of licensing needed - otherwise I could fill the Solent with old fridges and claim that they were lobster pots!

I know about the long line of pots and, yes I did avoid going between them. Indeed, whenever I saw one flag, I tended to look quickly for its counterpart and avoid both of them unless they were a long,long way apart. As I said, although there were loads of pots all along that coast, they tend to stick to the contours and be pretty well marked. In the middle of the night though, its pretty impossible to spot them before its too late.

BTW, many thanks for your advice re Galicia etc. THink perhaps I should have done the big 'dogleg' via Azores but still, made it back anyway.

G

No doubt you will recover this dirty little marker after you've cut it free and carry it in your cockpit to dispose of it correctly rather than let it drift free.What about the pot line you leave floating just below the surface on the low slack just waiting to catch some poor soul out, OH I forgot you'll wait until low slack and then using a knife on the end of your boat hook you'll cut it off minimum 6 feet below the surface wont you?
Yeah Right!!!!
Sure if you get caught in one cut it but until then leave the damm things alone theres a lot of monies worth of gear down there.

steffen

Visit site
Hi folks,
Can you enlighten me on this subject. Not having been in named areas i have no idea of the contraptions you talk about. Having seen The Perfect Storm i know lobsters are caught in baskets, but what about those floating lines?

On the IJselmeer we have fishing nets standing vertically on the bottom and marked by little buoys -usually plastic cans- with flags: two flags for the ends and one flag for in between. The are about a meter high in 3 mtrs of water so normally you can sail over the nets but its still advisable to go around.
Those fisching areas are mrked properly in the maps.