lloyd's list of yachts query

dombuckley

Visit site
Asking a favour from anyone with access to a Lloyd's List of Yachts: I'm looking to confirm the builder of a wooden Twister class yacht named 'Sniper', built in 1968. There is conflicting documentary evidence that she was either built by Uphams of Brixham or Eversons of Woodbridge, but she doesn't appear in the Brixham Registry archive nor does Eversons (now Woodbridge Boatyard) have any record of her. I was hoping to confirm whether either of these is correct, or indeed she was built by another yard entirely.

Many thanks in advance.

Poignard

Visit site
Asking a favour from anyone with access to a Lloyd's List of Yachts: I'm looking to confirm the builder of a wooden Twister class yacht named 'Sniper', built in 1968. There is conflicting documentary evidence that she was either built by Uphams of Brixham or Eversons of Woodbridge, but she doesn't appear in the Brixham Registry archive nor does Eversons (now Woodbridge Boatyard) have any record of her. I was hoping to confirm whether either of these is correct, or indeed she was built by another yard entirely.

Many thanks in advance.
The Twister Class Association has records of most Twisters.

Old copies of Lloyd's Register are available in the Caird Library at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.

dombuckley

Visit site
I have a 1976 Lloyds Register of yachts.
Nothing under the name 'Sniper' in the list of yachts nor under Uphams or Eversons.
Thanks. It was a bit of a long shot: she is registered under the SSR, but there's no evidence of previous Part I registry.
The Twister Class Association has records of most Twisters.

Old copies of Lloyd's Register are available in the Caird Library at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.
No joy thus far with the Association, but they are my last hope.

Jan Harber

Visit site

Many thanks in advance.
I have a ‘78 copy of Lloyd’s Register but sadly she is not listed. I checked Upham’s and Eversons builders’ lists. Not there either.
Nor is she listed under Cardnells, who built ‘Bandit of Mersea’.
If you know of any other possible builders, I can check those for you.

Poignard

Visit site
If she was on Part 1 of the UK Ship Register, as my Twister was, she would have had her Official Number, and Tonnage, carved into a main beam.

Armed with that, a phone call to the very helpful staff at the UKSR should get you more info.

B27

Visit site
Do you know that 'Sniper' was the name at launch?
Do you have a sail number?
If it was raced, then clubs may have records.

Bear in mind that before the SSR was created, many smaller UK yachts were not formally registered.

dombuckley

Visit site
Many thanks all. In the absence of any firm evidence to the contrary, I shall have to go with the broker's 'best guess', that she may have been one of a batch built by Uphams, but wasn't registered until the SSR came along in the 80s. However, having an Uphams-built boat myself, the build quality just doesn't look the same.