Liveaboard working from Boat - UK Ship Register

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
Which part of the UK Ship Register should I fill out for my boat?

I believe it's part 1 as a commercial vessel, as I intend to work from the boat digitally for a UK based company as I travel around.

As I intend to live on the board and continuous sail, I wouldn't be able to be in the UK for 185 days a year which is required for a Part 3 registration.

Tranona

Visit site
Presumably you intend sailing outside the UK living aboard your boat and working from there. No doubt you are aware that this is no longer easy to do on a long term basis in most of Europe if you are a UK citizen . Even if you are working from your boat it is a private rather than commercial so you can use either Part 1 or Part3 (SSR) to identify your flag state when out of UK waters. The differences between the 2 registers is first, you have to be resident in the UK for Part3 and there is no residence requirement for Part1, and second Part 1 is a register of title so you need documented clear title to the boat and subject to an tonnage survey before registration.

Of you currently qualify for Part 3, even if you may not in the future you can register now - it is simple and cheap - but you may have difficulty in 5 years when you come to renew if you no longer qualify. It therefore makes sense to register on Part 1. This is easier if the boat you have or are buying is already on Part 1 as you just need to transfer registration of title to you. Potentially more difficult if not on the register as you need clear proof of title going back over 5 years and pay for the survey. You should check with the registry on the exact requirements for a specific boat. If buying through a broker he will be able to guide you through this and also you could combine the tonnage survey with the pre purchase survey to reduce costs.

Tranona

Visit site
Irrelevant whether you are retired or not, pretend or not. The issue for most people such as the OP who intend to live on their boat outside the UK is that Part 3 has a UK residence requirement.

Currently the number of European states that have work permits for UK citizens is very limited and the Schengen wide business visitor rules would not cover permanent working from a boat.

Suspect the OP will find registering his boat the least of his problems in pursuing the work/love style he desires.

dankilb

Visit site
Suspect the OP will find registering his boat the least of his problems in pursuing the work/love style he desires.
Yup the thread post shows some naivety in terms of the basics of how boating is regulated as a mode of transportation. ‘Commercial’ use denoting carrying paying pax or operating the vessel itself for reward - not using it as a base for remote working. There’s a lot more to know beyond this seeming ‘basic’… But good luck to ‘em either way.

Tranona

Visit site
It doesn't sound like he intends to change his residency. Although I guess it depends how you define that. SSR might require a permanent UK address although no-one is going to check it once issued.

I say "Retired" because if he tells the locals he's working then they'll want to see the permit.
The Part 3 eligibility requirements are on the application form and the OP says he does not meet them - hence his question (a UK address is not enough on its own). as I said if he registers while he does qualify (before he leaves the UK) he may well have difficulty renewing.

Retired or not makes no difference when he gets to most of Europe - his constraint will be the Schengen rules - unless of course he is planning to go west or east outside Europe when he will encounter another set of obstacles.

Dantp

Visit site
Just for information we reregistered our Part 3 while outside of the UK with no problems. (About a year ago)
We did have a UK address we could use but most people find they need to keep some form of address anyway for banking etc.
The certificate was sent digitally and we just printed it.

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
I got the answer I needed regarding the registry. It was as I expected, it does need to registered as a commercial vessel but not for the reason I expected.

As for the Schengen stuff. It comes up on every post I make. I appreciate people putting emphasis on it being an issue since Brexit, but for me personally, it is not. I have some unique circumstances that don't make it an area of concern. It'd be much appreciated if we can focus on the query made rather then trying to flog a dead horse with the same rhetoric when it has little to do with the query in question. :rolleyes: :)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Having read your posts, you haven't given any reason why commercial registration is needed. If you will be cutting all ties with the UK and working on the boat, then it needs registering on Part 1. There is no need to Code the boat for commercial use unless you will be carrying fare paying passengers or, using it for other commercial purposes, it can remain a leisure vessel as your home and place of work.