Liveaboard on French Canals

J

JordanBoon

I am looking for infomation of where i can leave my 27ft sailing yacht with mast down on the french canals this summer ideally near Lyon, as i have to come back to the UK for a wedding. I am posting on here to see if anyone is living aboard near Lyon and would keep an eye on our boat whilst we are away for 10 days MAX.

~ Another question. Which is the easiest and cheapest way to get back to the UK from South France, we found a filght via dusseldorf to Stansted but i think we are going to stick with the train.

Looking forward to your replies. Jordan & Jess

blueglass

Visit site
Lyon is not a good place to leave a boat unattended. You really need somewhere with a marina - Grehan will no doubt be along soon to tell you where, but from memory there is (or wasn't) a suitable place in or around Lyon.
We always found the best way back to UK from Southern France was the train to Lyon or Marseille and get a easyjet or BMI baby flight.

mikewilkes

Visit site
I am looking for infomation of where i can leave my 27ft sailing yacht with mast down on the french canals this summer ideally near Lyon, as i have to come back to the UK for a wedding. I am posting on here to see if anyone is living aboard near Lyon and would keep an eye on our boat whilst we are away for 10 days MAX.

~ Another question. Which is the easiest and cheapest way to get back to the UK from South France, we found a filght via dusseldorf to Stansted but i think we are going to stick with the train.

We left our boat at Valence for a month when we came through the canals. Then TGV to Paris etc.

As regards from SOF then Nimes, Avignon, Beziers or Montpellier to the SE or mid S or SW of Englandshire.

Ryanair, Squeezyjet Flybe etc.

J

JordanBoon

French Canal Prices

Does anyone have rough prices per night for the marinas on the french canals. There has been lots of infomation but if anyone has any prices for french canal marinas or berths that would be fantastic.

Jordan

BoyBlue49

Visit site
Thanks Grehan.

Many thanks Grehan, your web site is always so informative and a good read as well.

There is so much content I often log on to read up on your log, re-reading again after a few months. There must be many of the sailing fraternity who have gained confidence and taken the plunge after reading your site.

Hoolie

Visit site
Does anyone have rough prices per night for the marinas on the french canals. There has been lots of infomation but if anyone has any prices for french canal marinas or berths that would be fantastic.

Jordan

When we went from Le Havre to the Med (Grau du Roi) a couple of years ago we possibly saw maybe half a dozen marinas over 27 days of travel. Fontainebleau - an association - was cheap (<20 euro) but Valance was expensive (~36 euro). The fact is for the most part you're on your own and you'll just have to cope like the rest of us! Not a problem if you're resourceful and your draft is not more than about 1.6m.

somerset

Visit site

We had to come home from Chalon-sur-Saone in 2004 and managed to leave our 28 footer with mast down there for the whole of August. She was fine when we got back. We have also left our boat unattended for 3 months in Spain without any problems so unless you have some specific problem that needs monitoring I would not worry about leaving her for 10 days or so.

But as others have pointed out - Lyon is not a good place to leave a boat unattended.

Grehan's suggestion of Les Roches de Condrieu would be my choice.

Other threads that may be of interest