Liveaboard Insurance

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
I currently have a very standard insurance for my boat. I'm due for renewal in July, which is about the time I'll be transitioning to being a liveaboard. Are there any recommendations for brookers/insurance provides that cover liveaboards in the UK? I would also want contents insurance for the boat, my current policy has a very limited amount for 'personal effects', such as laptops, cameras etc.

PlanB

Visit site
I used Bishop Skinner, and provided a list of all items I wanted covered, with values. Everything was covered (except money) at an additional cost. Can't remember how much - 20 years ago when insurance started.

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
I used Bishop Skinner, and provided a list of all items I wanted covered, with values. Everything was covered (except money) at an additional cost. Can't remember how much - 20 years ago when insurance started.
We live aboard for roughly half the year and have standard comprehensive policy via Topsail, boat in commission 12/12. Cover for some specified items/contents on the boat against theft or loss but not "all risks", at extra cost.

Thank you for the suggestions :)

When I got my insurance I used a website called Compare Boat Insurance. They don't ask during the questionnaire for any specific items/contents cover which is why my current cover doesn't really have any. Loss / Theft cover is all I really need. I'm going to reach out to both of your suggestions directly for a quote.

Tranona

Visit site
Better to deal direct with the insurer, most of which are brokers who have access to more than one underwriter. Bishop Skinner, GJW, HKJ, Topsail, N&G, Pantaenius are the ones commonly quoted for this type of insurance. The last named is very popular with full time cruisers as they will tailor cover more closely to specific requirements. However probably more demanding about who they take and premiums may be higher than others, but cover and service better.

Yngmar

Visit site
Pantaenius was happy to include certain named items too. They asked for photos and serial numbers (folding bikes, expensive laptop, etc.). The extra fee was quite small, but we never got anything stolen/lost, so technically a waste of money :)

Visit site
I'd strongly suggest avoiding the idea or any wording or chat about 'liveaboard'. This applies to every aspect of you new marine based life. If you are UK resident, and have a UK address - which is used on your policy - are registered with a UK GP etc, then the amount you use your boat (for private pleasure) is matter for you and you alone - you just stay on/use your boat a lot more than some. The only main variable as part of this use is the geographical area of coverage. This concept ('liveaboard') has never been a variable I've come across to insure my boats in my decades of doing this, some of which "I've used a lot". The closest concept that is part of most marine policies in the period 'in commission, which you state as months ashore and/or afloat (that obviously adds to 12 months!). The only differentiation that I have come across, which IS an insurable variable/category that might be of relevance, is whether your vessel is a/used as a 'houseboat'. In this case, you'll have different T's and C's (indeed if your marine insurer covers it - many don't now, as far as I know) that will apply according to the definition applied by your underwriters/insurance company.

capnsensible

Visit site
We lived aboard for 22 years and had no problem insuring including tras Atlantic and Carib cruises. Mostly sorted on our behalf by WG yachts. They also sorted out our insurance for our commercial yachts.

trapper guy

Visit site
my insurer stipulated a survey to be undertaken before they would renew my insurance, however a surveyor i approached stated they would not survey a boat that was lived aboard.

its a bit of a binder...

how often does a survey need to be done? and anyone got any suggestions for surveyors in the brighton or bristol channel areas?
im currently in brighton but looking to relocate tho the bristol are some time before the end of march.

PlanB

Visit site
Google marine surveyors for your chosen location. Insurers have taken to asking for surveys for new policies and then every ten years. Mine was surveyed while I lived aboard by a UK qualified surveyor.

V1701

Visit site
Or you can insure 3rd party no survey required. Out of interest have you somewhere lined up around Bristol? Portishead are, I believe, very committed to having no liveaboards (AFAIK they introduced a ban and people had to go), Bristol has a waiting list...

edit - oh sorry I've just seen you want contents cover - but remember the cost differential between 3rd party premium and Pantaenius premium + cost of survey would buy a very nice laptop...:eek:

trapper guy

Visit site
Or you can insure 3rd party no survey required. Out of interest have you somewhere lined up around Bristol? Portishead are, I believe, very committed to having no liveaboards (AFAIK they introduced a ban and people had to go), Bristol has a waiting list...

edit - oh sorry I've just seen you want contents cover - but remember the cost differential between 3rd party premium and Pantaenius premium + cost of survey would buy a very nice laptop...:eek:
yes i have a place in mind, though not as far up as portishead, my thinking is more north cornwall/devon rather than somerset

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I currently have a very standard insurance for my boat. I'm due for renewal in July, which is about the time I'll be transitioning to being a liveaboard. Are there any recommendations for brookers/insurance provides that cover liveaboards in the UK? I would also want contents insurance for the boat, my current policy has a very limited amount for 'personal effects', such as laptops, cameras etc.
Lift the telephone and speak to your current AND all of the other major sailing insurance companies and explain what you need. They will either say sorry can't do that, we can do that it will cost £X or try A. N. Other Ltd.

You might spend a couple of days doing it but it will get you exactly what you want.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Interesting, I moved from GJW to Pantaenius as they worked out cheaper; they include the outboard and dinghy in the cover. The larger cruising area and no silly 18 hour single handed restriction was a welcome bonus.