Liveaboard in Marina/Thames

SL24

Visit site
Hi,

I’m new to the world of motor boats. I have lived on a widebeam on a canal for a while and I’m now looking for a liveaboard motor boat.

The main purpose for me would be to live on it in a marina with relatively easy commute to London. I would like to do the occasional cruise on the the Thames and maybe a short costal cruise holiday once a year.

I’m totally overwhelmed with the different type of boats and would appreciate some help. I have started to read intensely and get as much information as possible.

My budget for the boat would be £60k. I also budget for another 20k for possible refits and upgrades. If the boat is already in really good condition then the budget is 80k.

I’m particularly interested in what boat work well in a marina and on the Thames for some cruising. Ideally it has 2 cabins, kitchenette, decent size saloon and a little deck for entertaining.
I understand that for my budget I have to look at boats that are older, 70’s, 80’s. Also keen to know if that budget is realistic. There are obviously boats out there in that price range, but surely maintenance costs need to be considered for these oldies.

I’d love to hear your experiences or opions so I get more information and can start looking at a few boats, narrow down my choices during that process, learn much more and finally make a purchase next year.

Many thanks,
Steven

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Your budget is realistic for a single , or low powered twin engine boat. However your biggest challenge will actually finding a marina berth with a residential licence - or indeed any berth at all. Do your research on this before even thinking of buying a boat.

V1701

Visit site
Hi & welcome,
I don't really know about the Thames but there are few official residential berths in marinas generally. I have seen some London residential berths advertised on the likes of Apolloduck, both for sale and rent at eye-watering prices. Then there are those of us who live aboard unofficially below the radar in marinas but that is getting harder to do with more marinas stating outright that no living aboard will be tolerated and enforcing it so, as Tranona says, do your research.
In the past the advice would have been to just not mention the L word when making an appraoch to a marina and be quiet and subtle about it, don't upset the neighbours, strew washing everywhere, etc. The longer we go on the worse that advice becomes and the more likely it is that you might be turfed out or prevented from using your boat as a home if you try it. Sad state of affairs for those of us who want to live this way, others would argue that we're freeloaders anyway and never should have been allowed to do it in the first place. Sorry that's not what you want to hear but it's the reality.
There's a Thames forum on here, not sure how active it is but might be worth a post on there as well, word it differently the mods don't like duplicate posts. And good luck with finding somewhere...

Gavin E

Visit site
As a Thames boater myself I’d echo the comments above about finding a mooring before buying the boat, but I’d suggest combining the research for both by visiting a few marinas to look at boats and getting a feel for the marina at the same time.

There are certainly a couple of marinas who turn a blind eye to a few liveaboards.

Look at as many boats as you can and you’ll soon get a feel for what suits and what you want. We bought our first boat three years ago and found all of the marinas really welcoming, and they are more than happy for you to look at several boats while you make up your mind.

Don’t expect to find your perfect boat though…. And certainly keep some of that budget for upgrades because you are guaranteed to want to change a few things!

Have fun.

SL24

Visit site
Thank you everyone! Yes, definitely wouldn’t buy a boat without having a mooring option. I spent the last few weeks looking into that as well and it seems almost impossible to find anything. Either they have long wait lists or aren’t for residential use. It’s a real shame that mooring options will probably the reason that I’ll be one of many whose journey ends before it has even started. I will surely do more research on this and see where it goes.

V1701

Visit site
What you need to focus on is finding somewhere that you can confirm is still liveaboard tolerant, I'd try a PM (personal message) to Gavin E initially, see where he points you. Don't outright ask the marinas themselves though because the answer will very likely be the official one, i.e. no living aboard. The marina I've been a liveaboard in for the last 11 years has always had in the berthing contract smallprint that you're not allowed to live aboard but many of us do. Don't give up too soon...

ryanroberts

Visit site
When living mostly on the Thames for a few years (before they decided to employ car clampers to fine you for looking at the bank, due to years of shitty behaviour by some liveaboards) I used to winter off the river. The middle Thames can flood quite badly, check your preferred marina doesn't often get too damp, as it can takes weeks for floods to recede.

BB1

Visit site
Hi,

I’m new to the world of motor boats. I have lived on a widebeam on a canal for a while and I’m now looking for a liveaboard motor boat.

The main purpose for me would be to live on it in a marina with relatively easy commute to London. I would like to do the occasional cruise on the the Thames and maybe a short costal cruise holiday once a year.

I’m totally overwhelmed with the different type of boats and would appreciate some help. I have started to read intensely and get as much information as possible.

My budget for the boat would be £60k. I also budget for another 20k for possible refits and upgrades. If the boat is already in really good condition then the budget is 80k.

I’m particularly interested in what boat work well in a marina and on the Thames for some cruising. Ideally it has 2 cabins, kitchenette, decent size saloon and a little deck for entertaining.
I understand that for my budget I have to look at boats that are older, 70’s, 80’s. Also keen to know if that budget is realistic. There are obviously boats out there in that price range, but surely maintenance costs need to be considered for these oldies.

I’d love to hear your experiences or opions so I get more information and can start looking at a few boats, narrow down my choices during that process, learn much more and finally make a purchase next year.

Many thanks,
Steven
Thames & Kennet marina is a good start.