Liveaboard in Holland.

basic

Visit site
Living aboard on Atlantic coast of France at the moment but fancy a year or so in Holland. Any tips please from those who live aboard or have lived aboard there. Marinas who allow liveaboard, best sailing areas, marina costs for 10m boat, formalities, etc.

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Living aboard on Atlantic coast of France at the moment but fancy a year or so in Holland. Any tips please from those who live aboard or have lived aboard there. Marinas who allow liveaboard, best sailing areas, marina costs for 10m boat, formalities, etc.

I lived in Scheveningen for 3 years as I work in Den Haag. It was expensive around 1300 euros a month for 44ft boat over summer and 1500 for winter (9300 without electric a year) . Their attitude was horrible. I witnessed a boat taking on water which was moored up and the marina employee did nothing and the response was it is not their boat as 2 others and myself bailed the thing out till someone who knew the owner made a call. But no help from the marina.
I have seen the same thing happen in the Uk and the marina do everything possible to keep the boat afloat.
I was told I was on a waiting list to attain a permanent berth which cost 2500 euros a year and to ask next month and so on, yet the marina had no permanent berths. I was being scammed at a higher rate etc for being a foreign boat. I offered to pay 3 years up front of a full time berthing contract but was replied with NO!. I am still in Nl for work with paid accommodation but now keep my boat in the UK and travel over on the ferry as it works out cheaper and the people are more reasonable to deal with in the UK.

There is Zeeland which is the pensioners retirement location with a few marinas but they are empty during winter and there is nothing much down there, It does have the most amount of sun per year in NL.

Rotterdam is a nice city but the marina in the centre of the city is a bit dodgy as I was originally looking to move there but on a recon mission a few of the berth holders were making a police report at theft from multiple boats which seemed to be reoccurring.

There is Amsterdam which has a few marinas which I liked and would be a good place to stay etc.
I like the Netherlands as a country but living or dealing with the system here is a nightmare.
I don't think any of the marinas allow liveaboards as such as you need to be registered like a dog to the council. And the gemente (local govt) tell you where you can or cannot live. It is Niet Normaal to live on a sailing boat. and when I say not normal I mean its beyond their social programming. The Dutch do live on house boats etc but these are mostly static homes afloat registered as a floating house with a registered address on a canal and not a marina. You need to be able to have a solid address where you are registered for the govt to be able to knock on your door and check what youre having for dinner, actually matches the correct clause in the procedure for sustenance for that particular day.. However; if you sail in to the marina and stay on your boat though, This is a different story. I did for 3 years.
personally id go south to Spain or Portugal. Its cheaper, warmer, sunnier...
The Netherlands is a lovely country for visiting.

theguvnor

Visit site
I cannot believe the previous post about living aboard in Holland !!

Compared to our time as permanent Holland visitors, we have had no problems at all.

We live on a 13m Dutch steel cruiser which has ample space & facilities for us. We are both now on State Pensions and I could not have the lifestyle in the UK that we enjoy here.

We cruise the 17,000 kms of the Netherlands during the summer & moor in a Marina during the winter.

We are offered liveaboard moorings at lots of marinas we visit at prices at a fraction of the costs of the UK.

This is our seventh year in Holland & we are changing our harbour just for a different town this year. The last 5 years we winterer in the Northern area in a Town called Schagen & were very pleased with
the service & facilities

We always need the following;

1 security ( locked electronic gates & lighting throughout the marina )
2 Free Wi-Fi
3 Spotless toilets & showers
4 Access to fresh water throughout the season
5 Mains Shore Power
6 Ample Car Parking ( reserved )
7 Washing machine & Drier on site

The local town is 5 mins walk with 5 Supermarkets, Shopping Precinct & good pubs ( This harbour also boasts an English Harbour Master , who is also a RYA Yachtmaster instructer !!

Costs are 370 euros (259 pounds( for the 6 months ) There are about 5 liveaboards at the marina & usually 2 or 3 English boats.

We have never had any problems with local government, even in a council run harbour they issued us with a parking permit for 6mths stay.

The Dutch have quirky customs - but that`s half the fun! & BOY can they party during the loads of summer festivals !!

If you need any info pm me

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, NL is a beautiful place to visit.. But I take it you don't work here or I was going to say I reside here but I don't. My office is here so I stay here.
The inland waterways I have not visited by boat.. I guess my negativity is based on the count down for works completion to get out of this place and sail south where its warm.
Once again. The place is beautiful to visit and the Dutch do like to party buy its a lot different when youre based here fulltime.
You are both on im guessing UK state pensions.. This is perfect. You are retired backpacking equivalent holiday makers. You are always welcome as you spend your pensions into the hands of the system.
Those that work here and pay 52% income tax to not be able to claim a state pension having done so, I guess feel different.

RAI

Visit site
The Dutch inland marinas are about half the price or less than those easily accessible from the sea. The Netherlands are built for boating in the Summer. In the Winter is gets very quiet, so finding a good Winter mooring is important. There are a lot of suitable places.

theguvnor

Visit site
Sixhaven is popular but crowded

We use Aeolus Haven - about 100meters east of Sixhaven. OK for up to 15m boats, full facilities & next door to 2 huge supermarkets.

Right opposite Central Station, linked by a free ferry ( 3/4) mins

Easy links to Schipol & rail links to everywhere - including France, Germany etc

sailorman

Visit site
Sixhaven is popular but crowded

We use Aeolus Haven - about 100meters east of Sixhaven. OK for up to 15m boats, full facilities & next door to 2 huge supermarkets.

Right opposite Central Station, linked by a free ferry ( 3/4) mins

Easy links to Schipol & rail links to everywhere - including France, Germany etc
Very friendly as well, also well protected from the weather but with very limited space.
Muiden might be an alternative

Gilesfc1

Visit site
I'm about to spend a year or 2 working in Amsterdam, and also want to buy a sail boat (32-36 foot) to put on a mooring in Frnace in a few years time, so I'm wondering about buying a boat and living on it, then moving it to France when the job is over. Are there any marinas in Amsterdam that might allow something like that?

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I'm about to spend a year or 2 working in Amsterdam, and also want to buy a sail boat (32-36 foot) to put on a mooring in Frnace in a few years time, so I'm wondering about buying a boat and living on it, then moving it to France when the job is over. Are there any marinas in Amsterdam that might allow something like that?

I'm berthed at Amsterdam Marina.

There are a few liveaboards here from what I can see - some on quite expensive boats. Whether it's officially allowed I do not know but I assume the marina staff are fully aware ;) .

Website here http://www.amsterdammarina.com/home/visitors/

A downside is that it's a pretty 'dirty' marina with a lot of airborne grime from the various industries/building works around - no restrictions on water for washing down though.

Otherwise an excellent marina (note: there a no marine services on site, berthing only).

Edit: You might like to read this blog entry by forumite Birvidik Bob: Dutch Delights & Netherlands Nasties (about 3 entries down from top of web page).

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/birvidik

Last edited:

Kazemi

Visit site
Hey, I just stumbled on this and its very useful! Could I grab any more details to chat more? I just moved over here and looking to fulfill a live aboard dream! David

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I don't know which poster you're referring to - but, if it was me, due to family circumstances, I've just returned to SYH nr Ipswich after 3 pleasant years at Amsterdam Marina (but not as a liveaboard).

My only gripes are -
Amsterdam/N.Holland: It is grey and wet Autumn to Spring and can be pretty cold. Teak, particularly decks and awnings, running rigging etc go green despite copious treatments of Patio Magic (Boracol).
Amsterdam Marina: In the main part of the marina the boats quickly get filthy due to (I presume) the workings at the shipyard next door and the fallout from the chimney at the chemical plant across the canal if the wind is from that direction. You constantly need to rinse the boat down to get rid of the grime (no problem if you 'liveaboard').

But, despite the above, I'd recommend Amsterdam Marina to anyone looking for a medium/long-term berth in N. Holland which is easy to commute to (note: officially they do not allow liveaboards, though there are a few there). Good value (by UK standards) @ €3200 pa for a 13m boat (elec extra) with an excellent ablution block and great steak restaurant (Loetje) next door. Lots of development between the marina and the ferry terminal going on with shops, bars and supermarket opening 2020.

There are loads of other, smaller 'marinas' dotted around which will be cheaper but I'm pretty sure these will be fully occupied by locals.

Edit: I see that I've already written most of this in my previous post.

Last edited: