Liveaboard Cruising

ip485

Visit site
Island Packet 380! :)

Bullet proof, lots of volume, superbly made, well supported, comfortable ride and some good ones on the market exactly on budget.

Now of course those will say they arent as quick as some, but there are those that would also say if you want a mile eater that will get you their in comfort and keep going when others are slowing down because they are exhausted, and if you prefer to avoid going to windward when at all possible then it ticks all the boxes.

and if you do want to plug into it, dont be put off by the nay sayers, because well set up the performance really isnt that bad and she will keep going when others have long since given up.

Of course I am biased.

Oh, and I should have added, no teak, as beautiful as it might be, but well constructed hull and deck that doesnt craze and will look just as good 20 years on. In fact if you ever fit A/C or extra pipe work or ducting ask anyone who has worked on them before why the job will take extra time - and they will tell you every bulkhead is 50% thicker than on most production boats, its all well put together, and it doesnt spend the night creaking and growning in a blow.

Last edited:

Ric

Visit site
I know of a very good condition Bavaria 38 ocean with a new teak deck fitted this autumn. Fantastic condition huge aft cabin good head /shower,I think its 2003-4 . around £65-69,000. not mine but I would like to own.

"new teak deck" enough to put me off. Why does anybody specify a teak overlay deck on a smallish AWB, which already has a GRP deck? They just add weight, add cost, make the boat hot, make the boat harder to clean, add maintenance, and then have to be replaced entirely every ten years or so at huge cost.

They have their place on larger yachts but to my eyes look daft on anything under 40ft or so. A bit like those daft "woody" cars that the septics love.

Visit site
I am sure this has been asked before but looking for some advice on a good compromise between safely sail anywhere/live aboard/reasonable performance all for total of £100,000 max.
Some boats in my thinking are Brewer 44, Hylas 44, Rustler 36, H. Rassy 352. Any ideas alternatives gratefully received, thank you

Hi all,
Yes looking at my post it was a bit off the wall, some have mentioned this ��. You may well have saved me loads of cash but I still do not know what Boats to look at. �� In order of importance I would like
Good Seakeeping ability
Hot weather suitable, plan is May/June go to Med via Biscay, June to September Med. October/ Nov sail to Canaries, possibly ARC to West Indies or maybe a break in Canaries so no cold water sailing apart from start
Good performance, but not as important as Seakeeping.
Reasonable accommodation, two on board full time with max 2 or 3 occasional visitors. Mix of Anchoring with a few marina stops so power considerations. Any suggestions gratefully received, thank you
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?445750-Liveaboard-Cruising/page2#MtwjJBfdPU6sFa0Q.99

My next boat would be an Island Packet, quality build, long keel, self tacking etc etc, have had a Nic 38 long keel got the hang at last of going backwards!

Visit site
"new teak deck" enough to put me off. Why does anybody specify a teak overlay deck on a smallish AWB, which already has a GRP deck? They just add weight, add cost, make the boat hot, make the boat harder to clean, add maintenance, and then have to be replaced entirely every ten years or so at huge cost.

They have their place on larger yachts but to my eyes look daft on anything under 40ft or so. A bit like those daft "woody" cars that the septics love.

Well its an opinion is suppose, but my teak deck still looks great after 20 years of carefull maintenance, and gets quite a few appreciative remarks from others. Its not an overlay of course, built with it.

AndrewB

Visit site
Of your original list, best fit would be the HR 352, though with your budget you could perhaps stretch to the updated HR 36.

One plus of this design is the skeg supporting and adding strength to the rudder. Steering breakdown is probably the single most frequent major structural failure on trans-ocean yachts, and I would steer clear of popular designs (e.g. Bavarias) which have exposed, unsupported rudders.

Big Fish

Visit site
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions, I have about 18 months to reach this decision so lots of Food for thought. It's funny how your initial ideas get turned on their head, I was convinced about the Hylas 44 as I follow a blogger who has been round the World in one of these but nobody on here thought that was a good idea.. So more thinking to do, always need a glass of Red to do my thinking so out cones the cork !!

michael_w

Visit site
Ok I'm biased, but don't forget the smaller and older Oysters fall into your budget. Apart from the problems with one recent boat, brick shithouse construction, excellent back up from the builders, good looks etc, etc, add to the advantages.

Tranona

Visit site
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions, I have about 18 months to reach this decision so lots of Food for thought. It's funny how your initial ideas get turned on their head, I was convinced about the Hylas 44 as I follow a blogger who has been round the World in one of these but nobody on here thought that was a good idea.. So more thinking to do, always need a glass of Red to do my thinking so out cones the cork !!

Writers of cruising blogs are almost always enthusiastic about the boats they choose - as are some recommending their own boats on this thread. The reality, as I said earlier is that there is a huge range of boats available that are suitable for what you want to do. The Hylas is a good design, but as you will see from a thread running on Scuttlebut older examples can require lots of expensive work, so your budget would easily get eaten up just getting one to useable condition.

Inevitably the larger the boat the greater the running costs, and probably the older the boat you are starting with. Your budget is relatively low if you want a good standard of gear, so setting your sights at a more modest boat and getting the very best you can and not paying the premium that attaches to some boats is the way to getting a sound boat. Then you will have less to worry about boat wise and spend more effort on preparing and executing your voyage.

AndrewB

Visit site
The reality, as I said earlier is that there is a huge range of boats available that are suitable for what you want to do.
Quite right, though equally, there are a many yachts that have successfully acheived ocean voyages, but nevertheless are not ideally suitable, specially with shorthanded crew. There is plenty of advice on this forum, as well as elsewhere, about what makes for a good trans-oceanic cruiser.

Last edited:

Jock89

Visit site
It's funny how your initial ideas get turned on their head...
Yes, & that's quite 'par-for-the-course' I'd say.

When I started looking for my 'ideal liveaboard yacht' several years before I bought my Nic-38, I found exactly what I wanted in several 43-50ft yachts, but didn't have enough money.
Years later when I had sufficient funds to spare for a decent-sized yacht, I'd come to realise in the intervening years that if I'd HAD the money & bought my dream yacht I'd have made a huge mistake & would have had to give it up years ago due to the huge maintenance costs, especially Marina fees, they'll eat up your cruising budget fast.!
It also depends on where you are in your life career-wise...& is your income going to rise or fall in the coming years, good Pension coming or not, permanent liveaboard or just short-term.... etc, etc...
There are so many aspects to making the decision that it took me a long time, & all you can do is garner as many opinions as possible, visit as many boats as possible, & then decide what is the SMALLEST boat you're willing to tolerate living on, not what is the biggest you can get for your money.

Visit site
Island Packet 380! :)

Bullet proof, lots of volume, superbly made, well supported, comfortable ride and some good ones on the market exactly on budget.

Now of course those will say they arent as quick as some, but there are those that would also say if you want a mile eater that will get you their in comfort and keep going when others are slowing down because they are exhausted, and if you prefer to avoid going to windward when at all possible then it ticks all the boxes.

and if you do want to plug into it, dont be put off by the nay sayers, because well set up the performance really isnt that bad and she will keep going when others have long since given up.

Of course I am biased.

Oh, and I should have added, no teak, as beautiful as it might be, but well constructed hull and deck that doesnt craze and will look just as good 20 years on. In fact if you ever fit A/C or extra pipe work or ducting ask anyone who has worked on them before why the job will take extra time - and they will tell you every bulkhead is 50% thicker than on most production boats, its all well put together, and it doesnt spend the night creaking and growning in a blow.

A long term admirer myself, always spend time at the Island Packet stand in Southampton BS, if I decide to change it would be one.

Visit site
Yes, & that's quite 'par-for-the-course' I'd say.

When I started looking for my 'ideal liveaboard yacht' several years before I bought my Nic-38, I found exactly what I wanted in several 43-50ft yachts, but didn't have enough money.
Years later when I had sufficient funds to spare for a decent-sized yacht, I'd come to realise in the intervening years that if I'd HAD the money & bought my dream yacht I'd have made a huge mistake & would have had to give it up years ago due to the huge maintenance costs, especially Marina fees, they'll eat up your cruising budget fast.!
It also depends on where you are in your life career-wise...& is your income going to rise or fall in the coming years, good Pension coming or not, permanent liveaboard or just short-term.... etc, etc...
There are so many aspects to making the decision that it took me a long time, & all you can do is garner as many opinions as possible, visit as many boats as possible, & then decide what is the SMALLEST boat you're willing to tolerate living on, not what is the biggest you can get for your money.

Fellow Nic38 owner sent you a skype message