Liveaboard boat in Qatar

hodgskin

Visit site
I am originally from the UK but am currently working in Qatar.

I am considering buying a boat as a liveaboard in Qatar. Could anyone advise on where I can obtain further information on the likely pitfalls eg restrictions on sailing in the area, costs of delivery/transport of boat etc.

Any experience or advice anybody could give me on the practical aspect of living aboard boats in the middle east would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

fibz99

Visit site
Dave,
For shipping anything in to the gulf, it will normally arrive in Jebel Ali or Dubai, then be delivered (sailed) to any northen gulf countrys.
Paper work is normally a long drawn out pain but does happen.
Requirments are in place for sailing permits from the coastguard of the UAE dont think Qatar or Bahrain yet.
Restrictions - Dont go closer than 1 mile to any oil platforms, watch out for dhows, Iran and big grey american boats.
Your main issue will be if the mariners will allow live aboards and if there is any space.
Are you after motor or sail?

hodgskin

Visit site
Thank you Dhowdodger
Very useful information. I am looking for a sailing yacht between 30 and 50 ft small enough to sail with small crew or single handed but large enough to live on in relative comfort.

I will post on the forum any updates on my situation.

Dave

mocruising

Visit site
Hi I live in Qatar but spend 6 months on my boat which is in the Med. I have lived in the ME for 26 years Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and now Qatar. Send me some mail and I will tell you anything you need to know. I have friends who have lived aboard out here and some who still do.

Trevethan

Visit site
I had the choice to move to New York, Dubai or Singapore for work -- choosing Singapore for a couple of years before heading to NYC but I was given some very good advice on finding boats in the gulf and shipping -- plus stuff like air con -- this was maybe 4 months back -- a search for that may be helpful.

Good luck

snnsx

Visit site
I am also thinking of shipping my boat to Qatar. We are moving there at the end of this month (September) for 3 years. Is it better to ship to Bahrain, and then sail, or ship all the way to Doha? It looks like Doha only takes containers.
Is the sail from Bahrain straightforward, or are there lots of hassles with oil rigs, coast guards etc?
Getting a berth might also be a problem, but I noticed last month there are also some swinging moorings off the Corniche near Enza, or whatever its now called (Tony Bullimore's boat). Are these available to rent?

fibz99

Visit site
Bahrain is a wee tad shallow dont leave at night, very long winding channel, and the previously mentioned hazards to be noted. Shipping to Jebel Ali will probaly be a cheaper option and lots more cargo vessels stop there or Dubai. As its a free zone no import tax and sail straight off to Qatar. Depending on the size trucking is also possible, I trucked my supeseal from Dubai to Kuwait, cost about 1k Sterling, would have much rather sailed, time issues.
Summer now thankfully ending, sailing season starts up /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mpb840

Visit site
Bump!

I am currently living and working in Qatar and I would love to live aboard. I heard rumors that living aboard in Qatar is not allowed but I do not know where to crosscheck this information.
Can anyone help me?

OldBawley

Visit site
Yesterday, the yacht Al Mirqab anchored next to us. ( Poros Saronic Greece ) Strong south blowing so I think the yacht came in to hide.
Pretty sure the Quatar based yacht is a liveaboard.
Could row over and ask for you.

OldBawley

Visit site
Sorry Mpb840, I was just joking.
That yacht is owned by the sheik himself, and I would be surprised if he was on board.
Had some nasty weather, guess even that big yacht wanted to take shelter.
Not sure if I would be allowed on board wearing my welly´s.
Difficult to moor my rigid dingy onto the big one. His fenders are as big as my dingy.

Some years ago, winter, hiding for a SE 10 storm in Boyus buku Turkey.
Just before dark I saw a big super yacht enter and anchor in the deeper part of the bay.
I was cooking dinner on the wood stove, heard a dingy. Went out to have a look, two guys in the dingy circling my boat. Seen me, they came close and one of them invited me to come over and have dinner on the huge yacht.
I turned the offer down, saying I could not leave the boat with a burning stove but that they ware welcome to have a glass of wine and some dinner.
I had never expected they would actually clime into my old small wooden boat but the old guy did, ordering his crew to go and fetch a bottle of wine.
We had dinner together, it became a most enjoyable evening.
This Turkish gentleman owned four yachts, ( moored in different country's ) and had at some point negotiated to have a wooden pilot cutter style yacht build in England. However, building and delivery would have taken three years, so he bought something else.
A very enjoyable evening indeed, despite my boat been tossed around by the violent katabatic winds, bad holding and the wood stove spitting two times smoke into the cabin so bad we barely could see one another over the cabin table.

WorstCase

Visit site
:) nice evening indeed.
I will go to a marina and ask there.. Let's cross fingers

Not allowed in most of GCC states, dubai clearly prohibits the practice. In general you are required to have a land address which defeats the purpose doesn't it. Only Abu Dhabi allows liveaboard, check yas marina (they add 20% to fees for liveabords).
Had a similar plan and actually checked a lagoon in Doha. I finally gave up on it as I am non sure those waters (the gulf) will be open much longer, but unless you plan to actually cruise that might not be a concern. Im very pessimistic about the region's near future in general, not the right place to be right now.

Mpb840

Visit site
Mmmm ok, I know that the region is not the most peaceful in the world but there is no paradise nowadays. Plus, life here is very relaxed for me.

Now, Worstcase I knew that it is not easy.. I was actually trying to know if the marina would let me "live" aboard , while a can provide another address. For example I can say I am sharing an apartamanet with a colleague and give them his address.

WorstCase

Visit site
Mmmm ok, I know that the region is not the most peaceful in the world but there is no paradise nowadays. Plus, life here is very relaxed for me.

We have seen nothing yet of what it could really become of these countries in the event of 1. nasty social unrest (seen a bit of that in Bahrain... was not nice) 2. open conflict with iran
Maybe nothing will happen and everything will continue normally, although it isn't continuing as before already with all the increases in fees and tariffs. The good days of the GCC are gone... unfortunately. Then again, everything is relative.

Now, Worstcase I knew that it is not easy.. I was actually trying to know if the marina would let me "live" aboard , while a can provide another address. For example I can say I am sharing an apartamanet with a colleague and give them his address.

In Bahrain they confirmed they would TOLERATE it. also dubai DIMC Tolerates liveaboards but for a berth you need wasta or dish out some serious money. In general doing it under the radar may work as long as nobody complains, but you would be at the whim of the marina manager and liable of any measure they might decide to take especially if your status as liveaboard is not clearly mentioned (when not explicitly prohibited) in the lease contract. But I thought it could be a decent option myself. Which boat you have in mind? choice in GCC is very limited, very few decent boats on the market and generally overpriced.

Last edited:

Mpb840

Visit site
yes, , market is very limited but sailing boats are not that expensive here in the gulf. Probably because you actually cannot go anywhere, with a little patience you can find some good boats.
I have my eyes on a 17 meters sailboat, but till I don't have the whole picture of living aboard in Qatar clear, I won't even think to make a move. I am not in a hurry.
For what I have seen berths prices are in average with the Mediterranean area, south France , north Italy and Balearic islands.
My point would be to invest the allowance for the house in the boat. I can even take to not be able to sail freely where I want.. Well it is too late now. I will continue tomorrow.
Good night sailors!