Liveaboard barge as a single, canal du midi

TravellingMan

Visit site
Thanks for relying. Take your point as the towpaths alongside the CduM are often uneven with visible roots. But the buses are so cheap and a folding bike can be taken on board so collecting groceries is that much easier!

Davegriff

Visit site
We used folding bikes for the trip through the canals 'cos we didn't have room for full size. Brought full-size now we seem to have settled in one spot for a while. Certainly less strenuous to ride. Biggest problem with a bike and the canals is punctures - carry a repair kit and pump always. Some of the trees here drop little spikey things that look like mines and are really sharp.

Get a good lock for the bike and use it. Solid bar type best, croppers will destroy a chain. Seems around the cities,"borrowing" bikes is very common. If you search around in the bushes, you'll often find a very servicible, if rusty, bike or two abandoned.... ;)

Incidentally, while you're there, did you know that if you find an abandoned, unwanted boat on the canal, the VNF will give to you free, gratis, for the asking. They have lists of some available, or you can report a new "find". Most I reckon would need an aweful lot of work though.:)

TravellingMan

Visit site
Thanks for insight into bikes etc ... when in Holland I was told by a very keen local boater that it has been estimated there are 25,000 'abandoned' boats in that country!

Seajet

Visit site
Another possible asset to you; I worked on a 38m hotel barge in Burgundy ( so different but lovely canals like the Du Centre etc ) in 1994, there were lots of hotel barge outfits, each with several boats, all catering for well heeled Americans.

I believe trade fell off a bit after 9/11 but is better now; anyway, most of the crews on thesebarges were Brits, all on the barge I was on were, apart from a genius young French Chef.

We ( I ) always helped British yachts or travellers we met, either with beer, ice etc or small engineering jobs, lifts around on our coach, cars etc.

So when you see a hotel barge in summer, lay on your thickest English accent when saying hello; the guests love it and the crews take note, it's great to meet travellers and get away from one's workmates...

Seajet

Visit site
Also, I agree so so much with those saying ' forget a folding bike, get a mountain job '.

Our barge had a dozen slightly ancient full size bikes for the guests, and these things took 90% of my time to maintain as ' deckhand / engineer '.

A simple sturdy, non-flashy mountain bike with anti-puncture tyres and a big bar lock is definitely the way to go - you'll have plenty of deck space for it.

Taking a barge through locks singlehanded is not that difficult, but you'd need to work out a system, depending on the length of your barge.

On the 38 metre hotel job my drill was, after guiding, ' counting ' the skipper into the lock * - I would walk smartly - not run - forwards, in time to drop a line over the forward shore bollard of the lock, surging it around the twin deck bollards to stop the 280 ton boat going through the gates; reverse engine is useless.

This would need thinking about if doing alone.

* ' Counting the barge into locks '

this still amazes me, as the 38 metre barges are designed to fill the standard locks within 2" either side - no fenders, just thick steel rubbing bands at water level, repainted by plebs like me every weekend.

To ' count' - guide the skipper into locks, almost always on a swinging turn as the French think a straight in approach is for fairies - I would lean over the side of the open wheelhouse, sighting along the straight hull side.

Bearing in mind the 2" clearance either side, " Plus 2 " was perfect.

" Plus 4 " - You're going to hit on the far side.

" Minus 2 " - You're going to hit on this side.

Funnily enough it works 99% of the time.

Sometimes the skipper tried doing without counting, 30 % of the time he got away with it, otherwise there was an impressive rise of spray between the bow and the stone wall, a few spilled drinks, but no damage.

The real worry is getting the stern resting on the lock cill on a descending lock; a sister ship did that, reaching 45 degrees bow down before launching through the lock gates...

I absolutely loved the French Canals, and will see you out there in my little boat.