Live lobsters

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk
I know this is slightly off topic but does anyone know where I can buy a few live lobsters in the Solent / Poole area? With due regard to how much time I have spent trying to avoid the lobster pot buoy's, then I thought it was about time that I tried some of them at a dinner party - I am sure they are much preferable to the Frozen Canadian ones from Waitrose.

(Happy - I enjoy cooking, it is not a chore, I don't want a takeaway or get in outside caterers, so no business opportunity here).

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Do'nt know if its still there but there used to be a place on the sea front opposite the White Horse (up towards the pier) in Swanage that sold them live.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Try the place in Swanage or hang about round the quay in poole when the boats come in. We've bought a lobster from them before, make sure that they put bands round the claws though!! The difference in taste is staggering compared to the one out of the supermarkets. Same as fish really, the fresher the better. Have a wander round the shore just inside the harbour round the south haven. You can pick up cockles from the shore. Last time I was there I collected about half a gallon of them. They go very nicely as a starter with the lobster. Boil them in seawater they toss them in a bit of garlic butter with finley chopped shallots. Serve with a nice chilled white wine and fresh crusty bread. Can't beat it!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk
Now you're talking...

Poole harbour cockles cooked in a 'stew' with bacon and chilli a la Rick Stein. I did it on the boat one evening for friends whilst anchored in Swanage bay. A few cold beers and some french bread - it was superb.

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
A Canadian relative once brought a few live ones over on the plane. even they were not a patch on our native lobsters.

If you can, use sea water for cooking them, if not make sure you put plenty ( I mean loads) of salt into the pot. If you don't like the thought of killing them put them in the freezer for a few hours before cooking. I've cooked dozens, and have never heard a scream, old wives tale.

They always taste best hot just out of the pan, a little mayonaise and bread and butter, superb!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
...if you can't be bothered hanging around in Poole on the off chance you get some, there's always mail order. Cornish lobsters, delivered live!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.martins-seafresh.co.uk/Shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3&cat=Shellfish>http://www.martins-seafresh.co.uk/Shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3&cat=Shellfish</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Well that will please one lobster fisherman! Most run small boats on a small budget going out in all weathers and don't like seeing or hearing of their catch being nicked.

We all dislike some of the small floats which are used, but don't forget that this is their livelihood whereas we are only at play.

If you took what was in the pot and it wasn't yours then shame on you!

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

If you ask Byron very nicely he`ll send you a delicious big lobster,he sent me one a couple of weeks ago and I`ve hung it on the wall it looks delicious.He even sent me to Boulogne to get one but could only serve me one hot.(I like them cold)Best one I had last year was in Guernsey at THe Absolute End Yummy Yummy.
Where can I get a decent lobster?Ask Byron

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Come on John, thats a bit romantic. A lot are hobby fishermen who do a bit of potting on the side for cash, no questions asked. Either way, there's no excuse for the totally inadequate markers many of them use. It may be their livelihood but it's our safety

<hr width=100% size=1>

kingfisher

Visit site
Pulling lobster pots

"Abandoned yacht found in the solent"

Rescue services yesterday night located an abondoned yacht in the solent, after the owner failed to return in the evening. The whereabouts of the passenger and skipper are unknown. Only an empty lobster pot was found on deck.

Local lobstermen pointed out again that an accident at sea is always possible, and that allthough they were out all day, did not notice the yacht. They also had no idea what the empty lobsterpot was doing on deck, as these men of the sea were quietly going about their business. Apparently having a sharp and clean knive is essential in their trade, as is a clean boat, because half of them were caring for their tools, wile the other half were washing the deck of their launches. The mysterious smile on their faces told of the gratification their 'metier' brings.

Still no word of the missing yachtsmen, though.

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

paulineb

Visit site
I get mine from the fishermen in Brighton - don't you have any in Poole?

<hr width=100% size=1>Pxx

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paulinebeddoes.co.uk/php-cgi/gallery>The Perils of Pauline in Pics</A>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Well the ones I know certainly aren't hobby fishermen, it's their job and they are in the main decent blokes. I do agree that many of the floats are far too small, maybe that's down to the part timers.

I do think that the fisheries boats should have the power to haul pots where the buoys are too small, that would soon bring about a n agreed minimum size.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
A word of caution, I was once delivering a yacht from Turkey to Minorca and were about twenty miles off Sardinia. It was mirror calm and we were motoring when we came across a pot marker miles from anywhere, after a quick scan of the horizon to confirm we were alone I am ashamed to admit we started to haul it in ( just out of curiousity you understand) about five minutes later (we still hadn't got the pot up) we spotted a bl**dy great Italian trawler coming over the horizon at about twenty knots, we feigned innocence and pootled off at top speed (5 kts). To say they weren't amused is an understatement!

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
But how does every one know who's pot is who's. Suppose I get a pot and plonk it down some place. Obviously I'm going to try to find a good place, so not plonk it all on its own. Which is obviously a bad place. So I stick it with all the rest. Which must be a good place or others would not be there.
Course, I'll get a black one to match the rest, as it would look a bit daft with multicoloured thingies littering the sea. So which one is mine and which is yours??

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
they know exactly where they dropped their pots
remember they are fishing a small area if you think how often they are out their even a 30 mile stretch becomes totally familiar

and what is nice is if you drop yoursa amongst theirs they will check it for you

we drop six pots over the summer
first will be going out soon.
we know the local potters and donot step on their toes.
they even sell us bait if we are short

where we are the worst culprits are the divers. there are lots and they allways check out accesible pots. we put our pots where the divers are least likely to go. t

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Mike_Gates

www.mdlmarinas.co.uk
Jon
The best live Lobster (and crab) place I have found is Bradley’s at the Cabin Boatyard, Burlesdon near the River Hamble . 023 8040 4440. They are wholesalers and supply restaurants. However they open to the public Thursday/ Friday & Saturdays and their prices are reasonable.
If you want directions send me a PM
All the best

<hr width=100% size=1>Mike
Thames Marinas
Bray, Windsor & Penton Hook

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Now thats a dreadful slur on us divers, I'm always interested to see wots in a pot, but have never taken and I suspect most divers are the same.

I have always thort I ought to put down a few pots, but the best areas are NOT potted and I'd hate to give those places away!

<hr width=100% size=1>

NorthernWave

Visit site
Don't know about lobsters but...............................

I'VE GOT CRABS!!!!

Chris

P.S. Can't believe I used this gagg before anyone else???

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
yeh john
but i pot in n wales which is regulary invaded by skanky scouse divers who'd nick your prop if you stopped moving
i was not intending a slur on lanky blonde divers /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>