Livaboards harbour in the south eastuk/Solent

pyeman

Visit site
Hello,

Can anyone recomend some good marina's in the south East that allow Liveaboard berths. and any which are friendly toward liveaboards.

Also are there any live aboard people that i cold bounce some more questions off ?

Kind regards,

Stuart.

<hr width=100% size=1>

redhot

Visit site
yes mate, there are loads of livaboards here (me included).
Just fire away with your questions, and watch the answers role in.

Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pyeman

Visit site
Okay first off....

What are the best marina to go for on the south coast ? are there good communites of liveaboard folk at any of the marina's ?

Do you know of any that offer a phone line or wireless interent connections ?

Thanks,

Stu.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
There are comparatively few residential marinas as such on the SE coast (or marinas with residential berths). They tend to be mud-berths, and many are permanently full.

The position with other marinas is that while not licenced for residential berths most ... but not all ... will tolerate liveaboards provided they do make additional demands, and keep their boats in a sea-worthy condition.

Marinas don't want the potential risk of berth-holders establishing rights to their mooring, or to have to comply with local planning regulations for residential berths. But in my experience, the staff generally like a few liveaboards around the place. Theoretically you are liable for council tax as a liveaboard, so the real enemy is the local council office, who can have 'purges' now and then.

Do not worry if the marina contract has a no-liveaboard clause, they all do. Try to establish their attitude by another means. A good test is to look around one weekday evening during the winter, if you see lights on boats and TV's, then there are liveaboards.

Don't know any yet that offer phone or internet links, more important (to me) is a good deal on the electricity charges.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pyeman

Visit site
I see so best to skope the marinas out first.

Does anyone know of any they could recommend ?

How do you judge the best places to stay ?

Thanks,

Stu.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pyeman

Visit site
Just seen other reply,

I am currently living in a house in Reading looking to change to a boat next year i hope. So any hints and tips will be very gratefully recieved indeed.

I want to change my life style and be able to go sailing when i wish, that is my main aim.

Stu.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TwoStroke

Visit site
Brighton Marina has quite a few live aboards.

PM PaulineB, she is based down there, would be able to advise you better. I have mine berthed down there between a few of them, but don't know too much about the live aboard side.

<hr width=100% size=1>How much to fill'er up!
flame.gif

AndrewB

Visit site
Sorry, but it might create complications to recommend particular marinas as good places for liveaboards on an open forum, when it is formally against their policy.

My choice has been governed by where my partner and I plan to work. Otherwise its a matter of balancing cost against facilities, security, and whether staff seem pleasant. I've usually taken a month's berth first before committing myself to a place for longer. Worst thing would be to pay up-front for a year only to discover they have an aggressive no-liveaboard policy (but they usually make that pretty clear before you sign).

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
In my experience most marinas don't mind you living aboard if they think they can get rid of you easily if they have to. That means keeping the boat seaworthy ie. no window boxes etc. and not hanging washing lines from the rigging. Some marinas actually have a clause in the contract specifically about washing lines.

Don't approach a marina and ask them if you can live aboard. Just go in as a visitor for a few weeks. Once you get to know the staff you can find out their views on liveaboards. Most marinas that I have been to are very friendly and welcoming and like having a few liveaboards because of the extra security of having people around all the time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewJ

Visit site
I've plans to tentatively winter over (not this one unfortunately) somewhere on the Thames or thereabouts, but would need work to supplement my income. Any ideas of "boat work" that might be available? I'm not a UK citizen. could I get a temporary work permit, or possibly pick up some part time work? I have some US licenses for driving boats and towboat licenses (boatus or seatow type small boat towing), any work of that type available?

Your info on the livaboards is very helpful. If you prefer, please email me direct at "omega@tidalwave.net"

thanks..Andrew

<hr width=100% size=1>

vertrouwen

Visit site
Mooring rights to liveaboard

I would be grateful for any advice or information about your rights to liveaboard as I am in the process of being evicted from my mooring. To explain the story i suggest you read more.... please go to www.savethemoorings.org.uk
It is my understanding that:
Marina's require planning permission for liveaboards but many turn a blind eye....
British waterways and the Environment Agency require planning permission for residential moorings but in many cases turn a blind eye....
Tidal moorings do not come under planning law below the mean low water mark but if your mooring goes above and below this mark......
I look forward to hearing from you all !!

<hr width=100% size=1>

neutronstar

Visit site
Be careful with the annual contract thingimy, the councils try to pretend that contracts for longer than two or three months imply a fixed point of abode. I know it is silly, but they do try to class a boat as a land based property. In nearly all cases they have failed in court to secure a fine and back payment.

I pay month on month at the cheapest places I can find and stay on board as often as possible in the rough and less secure marinas. This avoids ANY possible threat of council swoops but it does have some unfortunate side effects like having to move your vehicle regularly. Also having to use a postal box, or friends address to avoid the other council/legal twist of assuming if your post is delivered to the marina, you are a fixed tennant.

The law is slightly grey in this area and sadly the view of individuals (some of whom run marinas and work for local authorities), appears to polarise along their own political leanings. It pays in general to keep a low profile, a smart boat and pay all bills on time, but above all don't stay put for long.

If you must stay in one place for more than a few weeks ....... then get a house !

<hr width=100% size=1>

lexus

Visit site
Andrew.
Do you know where i can find any information on Livaboard issues,i note you seem to have had some experience on this,is that correct.
Regards
John

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
we lived aboard while fitting out at northney as did another couple we knew. we specifically asked and their view was that as long as we had an address other than the marina (i.e. where they could send the bills!) they were happy. we lived aboard both in the marina and in the boat park and were quite happy there (apart from the mdl charges of course)

<hr width=100% size=1>