little gimballed stove

seaesta

Visit site
I have an ungimballed origo spirit stove. This is OK when moored up and you can mess about with the meths etc in the cockpit. I would like to be able to brew up underway and wonder if anyone has seen a simple camping gaz or similar gimballed stove. I do not want to install a big bottle and pipes - a small cannister type is needed. Anyone bought or fabricated such a device?

Martin

G

You will find that this is considered the most dangerous way of installing a stove there is as it puts the gas supply in the cabin and any leaks go straight into the bilge! It aslo means fitting a stove ehich is not designed for marine environments and may be more likely to leak, particularly if the bottle fits directly to the burner as the wiaght could strain the fitting. Making a simple pipe conection to enable the bottle to be carried on deck is not difficult and much safer, you dont need a gas locker just a means of securing the bottle on deck and it can be attached to a lanyard so you can ditch it overboard in an emergency. Alternatively why not simply make a gimbled try to stand the existing stove on?
I am currently using a calor camp stove as a tempory measure while refitting and have been very pleased - £50, 2 burner + ceramic grill that does cood toast and quite robust. I would have no problems with this as a permenant stove for weekend sailing and althouht it won't last like a marine one at that price who cares! (make sure it has flame failure devices but most of them do)
The original arangement had a similaar stove with 2 simple 'A' frame gimbles bolted to the stove which worked well and stood about 6" above the stove top. They are literally just 2 trangles with a bolt through the top, the outer one bolts to the work top the inner one to the stove with enough clearence to swing to about 30deg.
hope this helps - I could send you outlines of the gimbles if that would help?

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

G

On our Hurley 22 we have a single ring gas stove, where the gas cannister is the aerosol type, and fits inside the case. The stove comes with piezo ignition and flame failure auto shut off. The stove works great, and about 300mm square and comes with a neat little case. I can't remember what they are called, though they are held by most chandlery's and calor gas sale rooms, about £40.
We have stuck velcro pads to the feet and the surface where it sits. this stops the stove from sliding around. We also use a kettle with has a large dia base but not a lot of depth, and hinge lid on the spout. we have found this to be pretty stable. I have boiled many a kettle whilst sailing, with no problem. We also jam the kettle handle into a spring clip, the sort you can push broom handles in.
This season we are adding some restraining bars for extra safety. When boiling a keetle in a lively see it's good practice to wear your waterproof trousers.
Finally there is a great griddle which you can buy for £10 to go with the stove, great for fry up/steaks/bacon sandwiches etc.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I'll go with your Camping Gaz, but it does need to be gimballed, but out of the saloon. How about finding/making a gimballed wotsit that could mount on the pushpit, so that you can cook underway, and any spills of gas or liquid go straight overboard. Cooking at anchor, you could slip it out of the gimbal, and keep it on a cockpit seat.

boatmad2

Visit site
I have one of these little single ring stoves too. Its now available in stainless steel as well as loads of colours. I fitted mine using two studs off the back of old michrophones fitted to the underside of the stove and two mic clips on the work top.
The stove is now placed on the work top and slid forwards 1/4" and its locked into place. I can still use it at home for xmas as normal.
I store the stove in its plastic case in the outboard well when not in use on my day boat. Be carefull they dont sell you the cheaper version without the flame failure device

G

Hi
Why not just buy a set of gimballs for the Origo stove all the suppliers will be able to get these for you. It is a very good arrangement as the gimballs fold down allowing you to clear more work space.

Kind regards

Steve Greenhough
"Frank" Liverpool Yacht Club

seaesta

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for these most helpful suggestions.

I tried the Force 10 supplier XM Yachting who told me that they do not deal with the public and to go to a chandler. The recommended chandler told me they could order one for £150. That seems pricy so I will gimbal my old origo.

Martin of Seaesta of Whitby

snowbrushy

Visit site
The Force10 Seacook stove is fully gimbled - it swing's all-around. It is simple to use and will hold a pot in very rough sea's. The US chandler West Marine sell's them for $120.00. That's dollars. West Marine stores are everywhere in the US. Good Luck!

TonyTitch

Visit site
I too have fitted one of these, but I'm not sure if it has the flame failure device. Mine came from a camping shop, but they can be seen in the brochure of Scotts of Stow, which is often stuck in with newspapers, and start at about £25, plus about £2 for the gas cartridges. From the gimballed double burner stove already in the boat I took away all but the base plate, the weight underneath and the swinging supports. I then drilled holes in the base plate and bolted this burner to it. Seems OK so far, but the old holding bars were then too low, and I haven't yet worked out anything new. Has anyone found out what insurance companies think about these burners?