Links to favourite online local area info resources

GHA

Visit site
Living on the hook it's nice to find out a bit about the particular part of the globe the boats happens to be anchored in. Google maps gets used a lot for exploring, lonely planet a bit, trip adviser a bit, alltrails handy for walks - but what about ............

Natural history, geology, history, food and more..?
Any favourite websites (or even kindle!) useful to dig deeper into the country / bay you've been generously welcomed to anchor in?

Or what about apps, friend had a great plant app where you took a pic of a plant & the app would say what it is & some info - think just European though. Not found the perfect identify fish app yet either... so much to find out 😎

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
Wikipedia has geolocated articles, so they can be rendered on a map. They used to have an app that showed them, which was brilliant while sailing past a coast to look up the things you were sailing past. Now there's a web thing at least: Wiki-Map (en)
Not quite what I was looking for but that's great, thnx!! Now I know that those sat dishes just up the mountain - they talk to spaceships 😎

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
- but what about ....
I usually read (and often take inspiration from) beforehand, then bring onboard, historical/literary texts.
15th century Alvise Ca da Mosto voyage description to Senegal Gambia, supposedly the first westerner to land in the Bijagos. Venice still has his palace.
16th century Pero Vaz de Caminha "letter" to Dom Manuel about the discovery of Brazil. Historical/literary references about Brazil I have X00+
"Leo Africanus" accounts about inland northern Africa.
Derek Walcott, Omeros, one (the one?) Caribbean literature Nobel prize winner.
Reading Jorge Amado in Bahia state, Borges in Buenos Aires, Coloane Tierra del Fuego, Quiroga in Entre Rios Argentina, Bowles or Burroughs in Tangiers, Pessoa or Queiros in Lisbon... Voyages of body and mind :)

Reactions: GHA

stranded

Visit site
Not quite what I was looking for but that's great, thnx!! Now I know that those sat dishes just up the mountain - they talk to spaceships 😎
This isn’t quite what you were looking for either(!), and not sure where you are, but since you mentioned fish, I find Alan Davidson’s Mediterranean Seafood and North Atlantic Seafood very enjoyable to dip into and invaluable when down at the fish market. Might even come in useful if I ever manage to catch one of the blighters.

Reactions: GHA

GHA

Visit site
I usually read (and often take inspiration from) beforehand, then bring onboard, historical/literary texts.
15th century Alvise Ca da Mosto voyage description to Senegal Gambia, supposedly the first westerner to land in the Bijagos. Venice still has his palace.
16th century Pero Vaz de Caminha "letter" to Dom Manuel about the discovery of Brazil. Historical/literary references about Brazil I have X00+
"Leo Africanus" accounts about inland northern Africa.
Derek Walcott, Omeros, one (the one?) Caribbean literature Nobel prize winner.
Reading Jorge Amado in Bahia state, Borges in Buenos Aires, Coloane Tierra del Fuego, Quiroga in Entre Rios Argentina, Bowles or Burroughs in Tangiers, Pessoa or Queiros in Lisbon... Voyages of body and mind :)
Cheers, good idea.
Also, I'd somehow completely forgotten about podcasts which are a constant feature onboard.
Just ask an AI!!
The future starts right here right now 😂😂
Canary Islands: History and Customs of the Fortunate Islands

( and some sailing books > The Mariner’s Library )

nAuimTQ.png

Last edited:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
When switched on, Location Services, Facebook can show interesting feeds. For example, I discovered Scottish Geologist on FB through local services. Also, when LS is on, searching gives location content on FB.