Linking electronics together

M Roulston

Visit site
Evening.
I have a 27ft Yacht (Mirage 2700) which is fitted with a Nasa Clipper depth and separate Nasa Clipper speed log.
I am considering fitting a Simrad GO7 XSE 7 inch chartplotter. I have also enquired about fitting a Nasa Clipper wireless wind system.
But to get these two systems to chat together i need to buy a converter (£200-00 + vat) This is just to have the wind speed shown on the chart plotter screen.

I have been told that the wind system needs to be connected to a speed log in order to get apparent wind speed. Can the original clipper speedlog be connected to the new wind system and show this?

£200-00 seems a lot of money just to have the wind speed displayed on the chart plotter screen. But If in the future I decide to purchase a tiller pilot,,, will this need the same converter? Will I be able to steer to wind? if all 4 (wind, speed, chartplotter & autotiller) are connected together?

Thanks in advance for any advise, I'm new to this type of technology.

Birdseye

Visit site
TBH its all a pigs breakfast. The NASA kit will all be old style NMEA 0183 which wont talke to NMEA 2000 without a box in between, and even then the data speeds are so different , it doesnt work that well. And as for steering by the wind, well I wouldnt for a moment hink that would work OK in a small boat and with a mixture of equipment.

I have a similar mess on my boat. Old pilot with limited memory, new plotter and radar on nmea 2000, some instruments on old Raymarine, Nasa bits and an AIS on high speed 0183. All different manufacturers so when you come to a problem, the help desks always blame the other suppliers kit.

In your position I would rely on a tablet in a case for the moment and replace tthe lot with kit from one maker when cash was available. And I wouldnt use NASA wind kit for reliability reasons

Sorry but in this area there are no bargain nasement solutions that work remote;y as well as new kit from one maker. You get what you pay for