Lindesnes/Southern Norway

Miles

Visit site
Does anyone have experience and/or advice of the best route around southern Norway past Lindesnes ? The Norwegian charts show areas of dangerous waves and refer to the Norwegian Pilot (Den Norske Los) but my Norwegian is not up to it. Will be sailing from Oslo to Scotland in July. Many thanks.

hans

Visit site
Suggest you coast- hop, probably sailing late nights/early morning to use offshore breeze and avoid sun generated breezes that can be quite strong. The "dangerous waves" depicted in charts will apply to bad weather from west when meeting east to west currents around the Naze and will usually not be a concern to the summer cruiser. Imsa/Imsøysundet good anchorage east of Naze, or depart from Mandal where there's wifi for latest weather forecasts. West of the Naze Korshavn no longer welcomes visitors but nice anchorage at Skarvøyvika or head for the town of Farsund. If favourable conditions we often do both Lindesnes and Lista in one shot, many anchorages and small harbours west of Lista - Kirkhamn our favourite or in settled conditions anchor at Ytre kalvekilen on Hidra. Further west Egersund or Tananger would be good places to wait for suitable weather across North Sea. WiFi at Egersund guest harbour, In Tanager in lobby of Hummeren Hotel. Coast from Egersund to Tananger exposed with no harbours for anything but kayaks. In July there will be lots of boats around and you should be able to get weather forecasts from other boats if you sail without a computer. Good luck!

Miles

Visit site
Thanks so much

Thanks so much for the detailed information about the Norwegian coast. We have PC/Wifi etc on board and I have just managed to track down the VHF channels for Nordic weather forecast which we struggled a bit with in June.

We had less time to sail to Oslo in June and regretted not be able to spend more time on the Swedish west coast so we may come back that way and then through the Kiel canal. Probably depends on the weather outlook. Either way it is a fabulous area for sailing.

Thanks again.

spannerman

Visit site
Sailed from Kristiansand up to Stavanger on a yacht delivery, we had big seas running in on the port quarter which the autopilot couldn't cope with so it was manual steering all the way! It was no problem we just kept well offshore so we had time to sort things out if a problem arose.
And once sailed the opposite way in a storm at night and had the mainsail rip, again kept well offshore as its a very unforgiving coast with next to no bolt holes, its a longish sail from Farsund up to Egersund and the same again to Stavanger with nothing in between, but if you get the weather right it will be straightforward.

thedoc

Visit site
Miles, I have just taken my boat to Norway. if you have sorted out the VHF channels for forecasts can i share your knowledge please?
Thanks