Limescale in Toilet Pipe

capnsensible

Visit site
Thanks to the new style flush mechanisms, our domestic loo has occasionally flushed for several weeks while we were on holiday. I'm told the old reliable kind that "use a bit more water" are no longer allowed
Yeah, the new styles are not very good. Nearly every heads here is made by ROCNA and they use the similar rubbish style new designs with 2 flush quantities and a combined button. Guess these are everywhere now....Chinese made.

Still, we have a spares supplier less than ten minutes drive away with everything in stock. Cheap too. Plenty of youtube tutorials on line. Do a seal replacement once then it's easy.

But this was never a problem in the days before GPS. :D

capnsensible

Visit site
Add. Both of our heads have got a stop valve. I shut those after a good flushing plus bleach cleaner if we go off for a while. House, not boat.

oldgit

Visit site
On my MoBo the internal diameter of the pipe had been reduced to about the diameter of a pencil.
The only and final solution was to remove the entire length of pipe.
Around 15+ feet long , went through every last inaccessible part of the bow of the boat.
In order to remove, it had to be cut into two sections .
Both bits were then laid out on the pontoon and good couple of hours spent wacking the hose with a rubber hammer and constantly flushing out the loose chunks with a hose pipe.
After reinstalling and connecting via a connecter and a couple of stainless hose clip,s it appeared to survive with no obvious ill effects and system was still working OK when boat was sold a few years later.
The sheer amount of crud washed out was impressive and suspect well beyond the capabilities of any magic potions inna bottle.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I replaced my loo pipes last winter - the outlet pipe was completely blocked, so removed, after cutting into 3 pieces. It was a 4m tortuous route. I rerouted it to prevent a dip where the blockage was and to shorten the pipe. And also fitted a new Tru Design outlet which is much easier to use. As it's a Lavac loo, I've also doubled the number of pump strokes to avoid it happening again(certainly in my ownership!).

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Normal. The alkalinity of urea decay precipitates calcium carbonate (lime stone) out of sea water - sea water has much more than even the hardest drinking water. Flushing thoroughly helps

Hydrochloric acid for limescale removal shifts it, known as muratic acid on the continent whee they sell it by the gallon for just this purpose. Also in Brick Cleaner from B&Q. Fizzes nicely and wont hurt the pipes or bronze fittings