Likelihood of mooring

Visit site
Not sure ware to ask this one,
Going to be leaving, Canet (Fr) begining of July heading south.
What are my chances of turning up and getting a space in a marina, July-September, I don't mind lurking at anchor waiting but do they have stay limits during the busy/mad season, especially July. Or is it a case of ounce your in, your in
(Sail, 11.5/1.6)
Would be wanting to leave the boat for about a month in each of 3 locations,
Haven't had much luck with emailing.

Some places looked at
Rosses
Barcelona (port Vell)
Puerto Pollensa
Sant Carles
Denia

Was looking at Denia as an over winter place to leave her. Have fired off some emails but not had any replies.
Fun fund will be under strain so any adjoining info on price would be appreciated.
Cheers
P

chinita

Visit site
From my experience, Sant Carles and Denia are your best chance. Can't speak for Port Vell since it changed hands but Port Olympic seemed to be permanently full.

I am surprised you have had no response from Sant Carles as they have always been the most efficient to deal with. Perhaps you should try calling them.

Many of these marinas are a law unto themselves during the summer. Pollensa, I recall, had a three day limit as did Pto Andraitx ( both have excellent anchorages though). Palma was permanently full. Our policy was only to only use marinas for water - but even that was often like a Marine of version Picadilly Circus on a bad day.

As for prices! Take a mattress with you to the office as you will need it to fall on. €100 per night for 12m not unusual and many of the old favourite Balearic Calas are now buoyed with zealous fee collectors zooming out in a rib to relieve you of your cash even before you have stopped the engine.

Often the best source of information (particularly on anchorages) will be picked up from other cruisers travelling in the opposite direction to yourselves.

In spite of all that - it is worth it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Visit site
Thanks for reply
I don't have a problem with anchoring but need to pop back n forth, hence wanting a marina mooring.
I was hoping to get the 1 month discount type thing but but was probably a wish to far for time of year.
I'm probably better off just staying out there considering, flights, moorings and other travel costs.
Im probably better off going for a yearly contract at Sant carles and doing jounts.
What are your thoughts on that?

RobbieW

Visit site
Im probably better off going for a yearly contract at Sant carles and doing jounts.
What are your thoughts on that?

Should work well, its what I'm doing this year :) Check out http://www.inautia.com/moorings/ for sublet deals. Its also useful to know that SCM allows +10% on mooring size, so a 12m berth on a finger will take up to 13.2m but thats the real overall length including all the add ons.

Visit site
Now that's got me thinking, looked at that link and came up with port Ginesta (just south of Barcelona) same price but looking at a few reports/reveiws it looks like it might have the edge, I'm thinking, fouling, mosquitoes and ease of transport.
Flipping tipical, I rang Sant carles and got an immediate reply and Email, I had had nought up till then.
Might still like to be ferther south though.
P

Last edited:

RobbieW

Visit site
...fouling, mosquitoes and ease of transport....

I dont find the fouling as bad as some report, the boat is coppercoated which isnt the best antifoul but you can scrub it! Mosquitoes, hmm yes - it depends a bit where you are, it seems the further away from the paddy fields the better. Transport isnt that bad, just takes a bit of planning; Barcelona can be done in 3-4 hrs by public transport, Castellon (RyanAir to Bristol or Stansted) in about 40 mins.

chinita

Visit site
If looking for annual then Tomas Maestre (la Manga) will be pretty reasonable. Can be a bit quiet in the winter and August is mayhem but you can get away to anchor in the Mar Menor. Cartagena is just around the corner and 24 hours will get you to the beautiful anchorages of Formentera.

We were there for two years. In those days I owned three 12m berths in the Marina - but not any more!

If you are in Canet now you could do a lot worse than hiring a small van to kip in and take a few days driving up the coast and having a look.

Old military adage 'time spent in recce is seldom wasted'.

dslittle

Visit site
Thanks for reply
I don't have a problem with anchoring but need to pop back n forth, hence wanting a marina mooring.

Glad to hear that you are not having any probs with anchoring - but you do have a good anchor!!!

If you fancy Barcelona, do look at Port Ginesta. I was there last week and they have spaces - I don't think that they will fill them all for the summer. Easy links to Barca, nice restaurants on site and all services. My mates boat has minimal fouling there.
Mar Menor is a good call as well.
Cartagena has very easy access to lovely city.
Enjoy the sun.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I doubt there are many places between Canet and Barcelona where you can leave a boat anchored too long.

Here are some marinas I have been in July/August. July/August is very expensive of course.

Roses - no problem in July/August. You will probably be able to stay a fair while. I have just reserved an annual berth there starting from the beginning of July. Currently in Canet. Usually plenty of space in Roses - even July/August.

Estartit - does get full, but always managed to get in - although once we stayed had to stay in the dock for the travel hoist. Doubt they will let you stay long.

L'Escala - always managed to get in. Doubt you can stay for long. Was almost full when I was there.

Palamos new port - probably always some space.
Old port - probably not. Stayed in the new port once, was refused a space in the old port and normally anchor close in too the beach and the moored boats. Can sometimes be a bit rolly.

St Feliu de Guixols. Always has space - but they might lot let you have it. The super yacht spaces are never all taken, but they don't like letting little boats (i.e. 20m or less) park there in case a few super yachts turn up. I was once refused a parking space (but there was space for several super yachts in the super yacht bit), but then anchored in the harbour (which is not allowed). Stayed a few days and nobody took any notice. I also once was directed to park in a super yacht space. I can usually get a hammer head (which is convenient for a long keeler which does not do reverse).

Port Vell - no problem the August I was there - but I think they are going up market now.

El Balis - is empty in July/August as all the big yachts leave for the Balearics as you can see from the photo of us there in early August a couple of years ago. All the big yachts will probably come back all at the same time. They will want you out before then.

Attachments

• P1010481 (2) (1024x768).jpg
    P1010481 (2) (1024x768).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
Visit site
Thanks to all for info/advice,
Plenty to be going on with, will post on cruising forum as well.
Getting wide price differences from Ginesta (presume location of berth in marina) 12mtr / 4mtr
Good to hear that I shouldn't have to much trouble leapfrogging down.
P

shogun

Visit site
I am amazed that, in respect of Barcelona, no one has mentioned Port Forum. At the end of the Avenida Diagonal, beside The Photovoltaic. This is a quiet, spacious marina which is extremely well serviced by all forms of transport. Tram is 200 yards, bus 200 yards, taxi 200 yards and even main line trains. Beach is 100 yards, and it is possible to walk to Las Ramblas in 100 minutes. Diagonal Mar shopping center is again 200 yards with an enormous Al Campo supermarket and at least 200 other shops. Restaurants in abundance, all within walking distance.
Marina has about 220 berths only 60% of them ever taken at the one time. Airport is two buses away at 0.95c each (takes about 90 minutes. Airport by subway is same price and takes about 70 minutes. Taxi to airport is about €40.

This is a very quiet marina, only two bars/restaurants in the actual marina. Chandlery, storage, etc is expensive but other options in Barcelona itself.

Highly recommended. Depends what you are looking for. Monthly berth for a 12 meter sailing yacht is about €370 plus vat, which is fairly good.

Regards

chinita

Visit site
I am amazed that, in respect of Barcelona, no one has mentioned Port Forum. At the end of the Avenida Diagonal, beside The Photovoltaic. This is a quiet, spacious marina which is extremely well serviced by all forms of transport. Tram is 200 yards, bus 200 yards, taxi 200 yards and even main line trains. Beach is 100 yards, and it is possible to walk to Las Ramblas in 100 minutes. Diagonal Mar shopping center is again 200 yards with an enormous Al Campo supermarket and at least 200 other shops. Restaurants in abundance, all within walking distance.
Marina has about 220 berths only 60% of them ever taken at the one time. Airport is two buses away at 0.95c each (takes about 90 minutes. Airport by subway is same price and takes about 70 minutes. Taxi to airport is about €40.

This is a very quiet marina, only two bars/restaurants in the actual marina. Chandlery, storage, etc is expensive but other options in Barcelona itself.

Highly recommended. Depends what you are looking for. Monthly berth for a 12 meter sailing yacht is about €370 plus vat, which is fairly good.

Regards

Suppress your amazement, it was mentioned in post #10. However, it was mentioned under the name we recognise - Port Vell. Never heard of 'Port Forum'.

A number of forumites happily lived on board their various yachts there for a number of years. They were squeezed out when Russian money bought the old port Vell a few years ago.

Looking at the website I find it difficult to recognise the homely sort of place you describe.

http://www.oneoceanportvell.com/

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Suppress your amazement, it was mentioned in post #10. However, it was mentioned under the name we recognise - Port Vell. Never heard of 'Port Forum'.

A number of forumites happily lived on board their various yachts there for a number of years. They were squeezed out when Russian money bought the old port Vell a few years ago.

Looking at the website I find it difficult to recognise the homely sort of place you describe.

Port Vell and Port Forum are two very different places.
Port Forum is about 3nm NE of Port Vell.

dslittle

Visit site
Hhh

Be amazed it is a very different place to Port Vell and exists - but I have been there... On the other hand my only recommendation of the place is the Decathlon there!!!

Last edited:

chinita

Visit site
Apologies to all.

Didn't exist when I was there and I thought, by the description, that it was somewhere between Port Vell and Port Olympic. It clearly is some distance away.

shogun

Visit site
Again, surprised. Port forum is a completely autonomous marina about 3 miles north of port Olimpic. Depends what you are looking for! All facilities are good but quiet, unlike port Olimpic and port vell. Hilton hotel, princess hotel. Ac hotel zero hotel all 5 mins away. Well worth the look!