Light Inflatable tenders

Visit site
A couple of years back I met a nice wee lady at Inverkip who was extolling the virtues of a small, very light tender which she said was a godsend as she and her husband advanced in years. She said she got it at Duncans in Glasgow. Having looked at their website there is one called an Aquafax XL Superlight . The pictures are not clear as to the inside of the boat and there are 3 different models which give no spec as to size, weight etc. Does anyone have experience of these boats .

Any advice appreciated.

Jabs

Visit site
I have the O2 lite. Great dinghy. I look after it, it is not going to last forever like the old Zodiacs that weighed a ton.

I think my 3.0 weighs about 17kg.

Tony

oldhunter

Visit site
I have recently bought an O2 light from Duncans over the phone, when I asked about the aquafax they told me that the aquafax was more expensive but otherwise there was no difference. I have not used it yet but the light weight is a revelation.
John

pvb

Visit site
They're lighter because they're thinner and flimsier. If you're really really careful, and don't damage them, they'll be OK. Otherwise.....

maby

Visit site
They're lighter because they're thinner and flimsier. If you're really really careful, and don't damage them, they'll be OK. Otherwise.....

3D Tenders are great - but they do tend to degrade quite quickly when exposed to the elements.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
I have a 3D inflatable. it's light and easy to handle. It does have small tubes so it can be a slightly wet ride if your not careful. Because it is so light we tend to put it away a lot more than previous dinghys and I have always been careful with my dinghys so I still expect it to last well. Ours is a 2.3 metre but I wish that we had the 2.7 instead.

Visit site
Thanks to all who offered advice.

Laysula, was there a particular reason why you wish you had chosen the 2.7? We are no longer on a swinging mooring so the task of taking large quantities of stuff to the boat no longer applies. We just need something light to manage in case we choose to go ashore when anchoring or at a buoy.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
We just wanted a bit more room really. the last dinghy was a 2.8 Avon redstart which we had got used to the size. There is normally just the two of us but sometimes we have a lift off our friends and it would be nice to return the favour.
Thanks to all who offered advice.

Laysula, was there a particular reason why you wish you had chosen the 2.7? We are no longer on a swinging mooring so the task of taking large quantities of stuff to the boat no longer applies. We just need something light to manage in case we choose to go ashore when anchoring or at a buoy.

Last edited:

kalanka

Visit site
I have a 3D 220. Light and convenient but poorly constructed. Both rowlocks tore away from the hull whilst rowing in fairly challenging conditions, ditto the towing eye when towing with a bridle in moderate conditions. To my mind this is a serious safety defect.
Neither 3D nor Duncans who sold it to me were interested.

maby

Visit site
I have a 3D 220. Light and convenient but poorly constructed. Both rowlocks tore away from the hull whilst rowing in fairly challenging conditions, ditto the towing eye when towing with a bridle in moderate conditions. To my mind this is a serious safety defect.
Neither 3D nor Duncans who sold it to me were interested.

You do surprise me that 3D were not responsive - we were early adopters of 3D Tenders and had a couple of teething problems which they addressed very quickly - but that was several years ago - perhaps things have changed.

pathfinder

Visit site
I have a 3D 220. Light and convenient but poorly constructed. Both rowlocks tore away from the hull whilst rowing in fairly challenging conditions, ditto the towing eye when towing with a bridle in moderate conditions. To my mind this is a serious safety defect.Neither 3D nor Duncans who sold it to me were interested.
I have a 3D 2.9 18kg and also disappointed with its construction, a seam started leaking after about 2yrs of light use. then one of the tubes started developing a series of pinhole leaks along the side which seems to me the fabric is breaking down from inside. A problem I found with the light weight was a gust could easily lift the bow while tethered alongside with outboard mounted. My old compass 2.3 28kg though heavy was perfect after 15 yrs of use. I'm now considering going back to the heavier boats.