lifting outboard brackets

bamspm

Visit site
I'm a pensioner sailor, now downsized to a Leisure 17 fitted with a 5HP outboard mounted on a spring loaded lifting bracket. I have no problem lowering it but I am finding it very difficult to raise.
I need one hand to hold the release lever back and the other hand isn't enough to lift the outboard. Is this just decrepit old age making it difficult or is there a knack to be learned?

Any advice from experience would be appreciated.

Brian

EBoat126

Visit site
Our E Boat has the same arrangement, we found that if you grab the back of the engine cover as you would to tilt the engine the front of the cover pushes the lever forward and the whole thing comes up singlehanded helped by the spring.
I guess it depends on the size of the engine, ours is a Johnson 6HP

VicS

Visit site
I have more or less the same problem with a 6HP longshaft Evinrude on a lifting bracket. The engine is fairly heavy at 27.4 kg (just over 60lbs). The previous engine was much lighter and the springs on the bracket almost supported its weight but they really are not beefy enough for the 'rude.

The bracket is supposed to be suitable for engines up to 8hp, IIRC, but it would be a lot more sensible if the manufacturers stated the weight range that the brackets were suitable for.

I have often thought of replacing the bracket with one suitable for a larger engine.

I dont think Eboat126's solution will work for me but it might if the release lever was extended a bit.

I do sometimes thread a rope through the lifting handle and pull on that. It helps a bit maybe. I was wondering about some form of catch or lock for the release lever but the problem then would be releasing it so that it locked the engine in the raised position.

Old age is a factor as well, it is ceratainly more difficult now than it was 20 years ago.. either that or the engine is a lot heavier than it was when new. Come to think of I used to be able to lift it on and off the bracket but it has now got so heavy that I can only just manage it standing on dry land.

bamspm

Visit site
Thanks for your comments, I am glad I am not alone. I did think of of trying to rig up a simple strop with a quick release cleat to hold the lever in until the engine is raised but I don't think it will be easy. I am losing weight as I get older and everything is definitely heavier. My 5hp Suzuki is a 4 stroke which is certainly heavier than the old 2 strokes.

srp

Visit site
Make up a tackle to lift the motor up and down - I had exactly the same problem on my Corribee last year so I bought a couple of small stainless/plastic blocks (Seasure?), one with a jammer on it, and a bit of 4mm rope. I lashed one end of the tackle to the pushpit rail and the other to the motor. I tied the release lever back so the motor was free to go up and down - you don't really need to lock the motor in the down position.
It meant that I could raise and lower the motor one-handed with little effort.
This block and this one should work.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
couple of small stainless/plastic blocks

[/ QUOTE ] That's a good idea. It must be very difficult to reach the o/b on a Corribee. At least the Leisure does not have such a large stern deck to reach across. Also true what you say about not needing to lock the bracket in the lowered position. I might think about that but still need to be able to do it at launch and layup time as I lower the bracket and lift engine on/ take the engine off while the boat is still on dry land.