Lift out recommendation in Algarve or Andalucia, Spain

madian2

Visit site
We are in El Rompido, Spain, just across the border from the Algarve.

We need a lift out and some help with our rudder, we think it's the rudder bearings, the rudder has gone very stiff (Rival 38, tiller steering).

There is a boatyard in El Rompido which is well written about in the guide but we get the vibe, and the visual impression, that since the new owners took over that may not be the case - happy for a member to advise otherwise?

Can anyone advise best place to be lifted out for this sort of work, any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Ian and Jackie, Rivalady

Carmel2

Visit site
I don't know your boat at all so this may not be possible, ours started going stiff and for a quick fix to get you from a to b I was advised to pour boiling water at the top one and the bottom, lots of rag and old towles, as I say I don't know your boat and what kind of access you have, but it work for us.

GrahamM376

Visit site
We always haul out into Bruce's at Faro, came out a couple of hours ago. However, Bruce's is mainly a DIY yard, no staff to work on boats except for stripping antifoul etc. so it depends on what help you will need. See http://www.navepegos.com/

A better bet may be the Ria Formosa boatyard at Olhao which does have staff and a large workshop. Friends had their rudder dropped and sorted there. Sorry I don't have contact details. Both yards allow liveaboard.

Cap'n Hubie

Swallowed the anchor in the Algarve, maybe!
Visit site
Hi Ian and Jackie,

A bit more info that you may wish to consider, I have been moored up in Villa Real for many years now, there are now two boatyard at the entrance to the river, I have used the older southern yard "Marina Guadiana" (80 ton travel lift) several times and had some good work done, (hull valves replaced and prop shaft removed and machined to fit new coupling) as every where in this area you are not allowed to work on your own boat, though there is leeway with negotion!!
Anyway as an OAP with a dodgy back I am happy for someone else to clean the keel and do the antifoul (ps EU 45 antifoul works a treat here, no Barnacles in 2 years)
Anyway I digress, there is also a new boatyard called Nautiber next door, I have not used it but some pals have been in there and reports are good, they use a wheeled hydraulic sledge with no probs. All engineering services available.

Let me know if I can help more

Regards

Hugh

Flying Dolphin

GrahamM376

Visit site
every where in this area you are not allowed to work on your own boat, though there is leeway with negotion!!

Surprised by that comment, certainly anyone can work on their boats and sleep aboard ar Olhao, Faro, Portimao and Lagos and (I think) Albufeira. The same doesn't apply to most Spanish yards.

We've heard several first hand complaints about Marina Guadiana, bad reputation for upping prices from those quoted and in a couple of cases damaging boats. Glad to hear they have at least one happy customer:)

madian2

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. We are going back to Sopramar at Lagos, hopefully it will be a quick fix.

Heckler

Visit site
Surprised by that comment, certainly anyone can work on their boats and sleep aboard ar

Olhao, Faro, Portimao and Lagos and (I think) Albufeira. The same doesn't apply to most Spanish yards.

We've heard several first hand complaints about Marina Guadiana, bad reputation for upping prices from those quoted and in a couple of cases damaging boats. Glad to hear they have at least one happy customer:)
Albifeira, sim
Stu