Liferaft - valise or cannister

JeremyF

Visit site
By the time a cradle is bought, the cannister version is a lot more expensive than a valise. For coastal and channel sailing, is it worth spending the extra, or do most people keep a valise in a cockpit locker, and stow it on the coachroof for longer trips?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=red>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Valise in cockpit locker in my case, short trips or long. A big but though.

But mine's only a four man raft and a not-very-deep locker, so not too heavy to lift out and chuck overboard. Maybe a bigger raft would be too hernia-inducing to be retrievable from a deep locker?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Just bought a cannister liferaft. I thought after a while the valise would end up burried somewhere and become too much of a struggle in the event of an emergency. If you do go the valise route you could convert to cannister later on but obviously at a premium.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
First of all, when are you most likely to deploy?
I'd suggest
1) Fire
2) Catatrophic hull damage (collision etc)

Therefore it should be in a postion where it is accessible from the cockpit, which really means either a valise in a cockpit locker or a canister in a cradle IMHO. I've got a canister on a cradle attached to the pushpit, keeps it accessible and keeps locker space free.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site
Valise is often preferred in high theft areas (locked in a locker).
Cannister is usually placed on deck out of reach, where it can be swept away by a big wave.

There are good and bad arguements for either position BUT

If you have a valise in the locker
FIX A U BOLT IN THE LOCKER AND TIE THE LANYARD TO IT
as soon as the valise arrives on the boat.

Otherwise you will look a right D-Head when it is launched and then floats away, uninflated.
"But I thought it was tied on" said the crew.
"Well... It should have been" you reply "But..."

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
According to Avon, lferafts stowed in a valise are supposed to be kept dry, thus should never be stowed on deck while on voyage. This alone may answer your question, a cannister is best.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bryantee

lefkas Greece (Summer)Cochin india(Winter)
Visit site
agree cannister is best,but for various reasons, I have a valise.stored inside when in marina and triple wrapped in shower curtain on rack behind mast ,held down with QR straps when sailing.The dinghy knife is strapped along side on long lanyard.in case there is a hitch with the QR.Straps.

<hr width=100% size=1>