Lifejacket query

Grajan

Visit site
After a particularly wet sail auto lifejacket brought home and hung in shed to be dried out, however when next in shed I discovered that moisture had reached the parts that other moisture hadn't reached before and life jacket had been activated. Removed spent cylinder and activation unit ready to refit replacement units after next trip to chandlery.
I was inquisitive as to what pierced the CO2 cylinder and discovered that on my XM Quickfit Auto there is a pin? that looks not unlike the top of a large needle (eye end) which is bent at an angle of about 60 degrees. Would anybody know if this is standard or have I got a damaged firing pin? my concern is that the bent pin would break off and not fire the cylinder
This is an elderly lifejacket dated -- / 01 but has been regularly checked, apart from shape of firing pin!

Sandyman

Visit site
For what they cost I would ditch it & but a new one. Last thing you want is a LJ which you have no confidence in.

Grajan

Visit site
Thanks for your reply sandyman and I will replace this LJ ASAP however it is only one of the many I normally carry onboard split between auto & manual should friends or family come out with me. My main reason for commenting was that should this activation pin, which is part of the lifejacket and not sold with the reactivation kit,, be faulty others could easily have screwed a new gas bottle into position and be unaware of this type of fault.

PS cant get to the boat just now otherwise would have checked against other LJ's

Seatrout

Visit site
One of my most hilarious moments sailing was when picking up a guest mooring at Colintraive. My son was lying flat on the foredeck reaching out for the pickup, when his lifejacket inflation toggle fouled on a cleat..... Boooom! Mr. Blobby suddenly appeared. :rolleyes:

Grajan

Visit site
Seatrout we had a similar experience when doing an overnight race but the young newbie sailor had really tightened the belts as his parents had advised him that he could slip out of the LJ unless they were really tight, what with the shock of the canister going off and the tightness of the LJ the poor lad could barely breath and we ended up cutting him out off it!