Lifebuoy light - any recommendations?

Visit site
I know this question has been asked here before, but the most recent thread I could find was from a few years back and things (hopefully) evolve and improve.

So... can anyone recommend a reliable, good-value MOB light that actually works and keeps working? I assume the best bet is a sealed LED lamp for starters?

Thanks ?

robbieg

Visit site
My Trem floating led/Iithium lifebuoy light seems to work as advertised although I have not used it in anger. As you suggest sealed Led seems to be the way to go IMO

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've got Daniament led lifebuoy lights, came with 2 new lifebuoys I bought a couple of years ago. Seem to be good, test work OK. Certainly MUCH better than the original ones using large 'D' ? batteries - which never seemed to when tested...

William_H

Visit site
I can't comment on what is available just on design. LED is obvious for light but all round light is difficult with LED. Either us a reflector like those garden LED lights or multiple LED diodes. Battery wise the CR123 type lithium battery has shelf life around 10 years and remarkable capacity for it's size. So ideally light would has solid soldered connections to lED and battery. Leaving only the switch as possible failure point. A mercury tilt switch might be good. In any case you want a reliable switch design. All water proof of course.
An alternative would be the xenon flash type light. Very bright and effective. However the electronics especially coil to induce high voltage doesn't take much moisture to get corroded. I have a few for life jackets but one is dead. Uses 2x AA batteries but battery contacts might be a failure point.
Just a few thoughts ol'will

Visit site
Thanks for those suggestions. I definitely like the idea of a fully sealed unit but I'm not so keen on the idea of having to chuck the whole thing away at the end of the nominal battery life. So I'm leaning towards an LED one with a replaceable battery. Any more specific model recommendations gratefully received!

Helidan

Visit site
One tip for those with the cheapo lazilas type is to keep it down below and only bring it out and clip it on when sailing at night. The cheap plastic seems particularly prone to U/V.
We've sold hundreds of the Lalizas ones, never had a report of problems related to UV. Applies to the normal ones and the ATEX intrinsically safe models.