Life jacket servicing

MrB

Visit site
Where in the south can I have all my life jackets tested after being stored in my garage for nearly two years?

Can't you just do them yourself with re-arm kits? (if they are auto)?????

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Wouldn’t be sure I had repacked them correctly. I guess I could try one out first with new kit.
Should I pull the cord to inflate or disarm and manually pump up to test?

As Mr B said I think I would buy new rearming kits as a matter of course (just to be safe - and you don't say how old they were before the two years on the garage) but after that just unzip the covers and have a look how the bladder is folded.. unfold.. remove the gas bottles and arming stuff.. blow them up manually - I do it by mouth others say not to do that - and then leave them inflated for 24 hours to ensure they're air tight.. deflate, attach new bottle and arming kit, re fold, repack - job done.. least ways that's what I do... :)

Greg2

Visit site
As Mr B said I think I would buy new rearming kits as a matter of course (just to be safe - and you don't say how old they were before the two years on the garage) but after that just unzip the covers and have a look how the bladder is folded.. unfold.. remove the gas bottles and arming stuff.. blow them up manually - I do it by mouth others say not to do that - and then leave them inflated for 24 hours to ensure they're air tight.. deflate, attach new bottle and arming kit, re fold, repack - job done.. least ways that's what I do... :)

+1 with the addition of a good visual check of the bladder and straps

Way back when I was trained to maintain sea survival kit in the RN and this was the routine for life jackets.

gjgm

Visit site
Wouldn’t be sure I had repacked them correctly. I guess I could try one out first with new kit.
Should I pull the cord to inflate or disarm and manually pump up to test?

Pump them up with a foot pump and leave overnight..hopefully you aren't going to be in the water that long!
Do a visual inspection of the jacket and pressurised canister for mould,rust etc. If the pellet has dissolved one would hope the jacket inflated!
Btw,carry spare rearming kits on board..otherwise,if it goes off by accident then you can't use it at all.
It is a pretty simple bit of kit...you should be able to determine if you would be happy to rely on it. If they are getting on a bit,maybe new ones and newer designs is also a consideration.
Honestly..it is a very simple task to check them over.