Life Jacket - rplcmnt gas bottles

Shearwater

Visit site
I have three brands of l/jacket: Seago, XM and Baltic. The XM self inflated last summer (it was probably left in direct Spanish sunlight in a closed up cabin) and getting BRANDED replacements is impossible. I've looked closely at as many pictures as I can and it appears all bottles and the plastic re-arm device appear very similar. Can anyone confirm they are all industry standard (i.e. excluding hammar) and any brand can be fitted to any jacket. Many tks. Colin

Hugh Foulis

Carlisle. The Happiest Place in Britain (Official)
Visit site
Hi,

The gas bottles are industry standard 33g CO2 but the firing mechanism is not. I was looking for service kits for two baltic automatic units that I have and our wholesaler had to send me combintions of everything for me to work out what fitted where. However the choice I think is between 'united moulders' and 'Halkey Roberts'.

If United Moulders, the firing mechanism is a throw away black cartridge about 60mm long and 22mm diameter and the old one is replaced with a new one, if its Halkey Roberts its a case of unscrewing the assembly and fitting a new dissolving pellet before reassembly. Total cost of bottle and consumables about £17.

Best Regards

HF

Talbot

Visit site
Not all lifejackets are the 33 gm standard - here is a list:

24g - twenty four gram co2 cylinder, commonly used on kids automatic gas life jackets.

33g - thirty three gram co2 cylinder, commonly used on adult 150N gas lifejackets.

38g - thirty eight gram co2 cylinder, less common, found on 150-175N gas life jackets.

60g - sixty gram co2 cylinder, found on 275N gas life jackets.

but provided you get the correct weight, it should be identical.

(puts anorak away again)

Shearwater

Visit site
Why can't the l.j. makers get together and design a standard firingmechanism. It's not just stupid, it's counter productive. The answer is do not buy an l.j. unless you can be sure of buying a re-fit some years in the future.

Gin

Visit site
Good questions and informative responses- going down a similar path now for my six (expired) canisters- some XM remainder Seago.

It's like domestic light bulbs- they all do the same job but a nightmare to find the right bayonet/screw fitting etc.- time the manufacturers adopted a standard.

The cynic in me says they won't because they then continue to have us by the 'shorts'

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I've always wondered about using cylinders from a bike shop for pumping you tyres up for a couple of squid.... they even have the same thread and same weight... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

never been tempted to replace with them though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif