Lesson No.1-Cleaning and polishing

Mfc1955

Visit site
My grp looks like it needs a good clean and polish. Any advice for the best products/methods?? I have seen a number of people using 'Jif' kitchen cleaner as a first means of cleaning, anyone done so ? is it safe? Those using it swear by it, with the added attraction of being cheaper than other proprietory boat products ???
I'm then looking for a good polish, teflon based ? or 'Mer'? and will hire/buy a small electric polisher, but advice would be welcome before the boat comes out and I make a start, thanks

stamfordian

Visit site
hi,
Jif cleaning stuff is very abrasive might look good for a while but ultimatly will damage gel coat...like a plastic bath.good chandler will sort you out,might mean a bit expense at first but results will offset ....good luck

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Never use any abrasive cleaner like Jif, its looks great for a few days and you will pay for it for ever!! xAlso never use car type polish as many contain silicon and that is a total no-no with GRP ..Stick with the usual marine stuff

Joe_Cole

Visit site
I wouldn't use Jif...too abrasive. I've used "T cut" and "Mer" without any problems. Those electric car polishers, at about £30 are excellent value. I can give my boat a complete polish (once with T cut and two polishes) over a easy weekend without any problem.......but my boats only 23ft.

Joe COle

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
After a lifetime of insisting that boat products are simply over-priced, rebadged car equivalents, I now believe that I have been wrong all along! Some of the stuff I have used in the past two years has been superb and far better than T-cut, Brasso and the other products. Try Black Streak remover and Teak Brite for really bad staining, wash topsides and hull with a boat detergent and polish with a Teflon based polish. I use a cheap car polisher and it works well. Cost was about 30 pounds. My "white bits" have never looked so good.

Our local chandler laid on a demonstration two years ago. A man cleaned up a boat that looked utterly neglected, the surface was chalked, stained and very tatty indeed. Within a morning it looked like new. No power tools used, all done by hand. I was completely convinced and have not looked back since.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Castaway is absolutely correct. Jif is an abrasive and will leave scratches on the GRP which can only get worse with time. Some car polishes contain animal fats (which fill the scratches giving a falsified shine which fades after a week or so leaving the original problem) which again, will be a pain.

I have used 3M products on my boat, and found them to be excellent. Fibreglass Restorer for the more obstinate marks and dullness, and Fibreglass Cleaner and Polisher for the better places.

Aladin's Cave - 01489 555908 is a good stockist and will mail order.

For advice, call Peter Furby (3M) on 07770 284926.

Piers du Pré
MBM Cruising Club enthusiast
www.dupre.co.uk/fsPlaydeau.htm

Mfc1955

Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice...we will definately not be using Jif.....I trust that you will similarly respond to other 'Lessons' which are requested, many thanks and regards......

G

I agree with all said before about not using Jiff and the merits of Mer. Have found Farclea rubbing compound is very good, but quite expensive and on really dull GRP it needs a special buff on a drill. For the initial clean to get rid of winter grot I find Mr. Muscle kitchen cleaner (clear fluid spayed on) is great, but I don't know if it will disolve the boat eventually.
Have fun.

G

If you are going to use an electric polisher then I would simply wash boat then use Farclea (Spelling??) G3 grade for example, keep sponge polishing pad wet, a throw-away household detergent spray filled with clean water is enough to put a mist of water on the area you are cleaning, and after recovering from the very tired arms which you will get, stand back in amazement at twenty year old white GRP looking like new! However, that treatment will not clear the waterline stains, use one of the proprietary cleaners, usually oxalic acid based for that. If you want to polish it afterwards, the teflon polish from Starbrite is pretty good stuff and very easy to use by hand, although it really does work better if you apply two coats a few days apart as they recommend.

Good luck.