Leonard W. Sharpe, commercial marine artist

shipsmonther

Visit site
I would like to find out more about the work and career of Leonard Sharpe, author of 'How to Draw Merchant Ships' (Studio 1948; new edition 1954) and other books. As a freelance author on maritime topics (my last book was 'Cruise', published by Laurence King / Rizzoli) I have always admired his work (I first bought his book when I was at school!) and would be grateful to have any information on where he lived and worked.

Jennifer Chaumet

Visit site
Leonard W. Sharpe

Hello!

I was just browsing and I had this wonderful find. I know your post was a long time ago, but I must tell you the Leonard W. Sharpe was my grandfather! I can certainly fill you in on some details if you wish. I am not a big chat user - so I am a bit shy about it.

At this stage I can tell you he was a wonderful man as well as an artist and I cannot express my excitement at finding interest in him on the Web. His books were part of my growing up and they reflected his personality and charisma more than I can.

I probably will not be on the Forum for at least a week. Just to give you a taste, he had five grandchildren born in Liverpool UK of course. He resided in Bootle L20.

shipsmonther

Visit site
Dear Ms Chaumet,

Many apologies for this delay, but I have been abroad and have not checked this site for some time. As a great admirer of his work, I'd love to hear more about Leonard Sharpe from you, and look forward very much to making contact. My telephone number (in Exeter) is 01392 270588. I'lll be away again from March 10th, but still on email.

All kindest wishes, and apologies again.

Peter Quartermaine

Hello!

I was just browsing and I had this wonderful find. I know your post was a long time ago, but I must tell you the Leonard W. Sharpe was my grandfather! I can certainly fill you in on some details if you wish. I am not a big chat user - so I am a bit shy about it.

At this stage I can tell you he was a wonderful man as well as an artist and I cannot express my excitement at finding interest in him on the Web. His books were part of my growing up and they reflected his personality and charisma more than I can.

I probably will not be on the Forum for at least a week. Just to give you a taste, he had five grandchildren born in Liverpool UK of course. He resided in Bootle L20.

shipsmonther

Visit site
Dear Ms Chaumet,

This is just a back-up in case my reply (just posted) doesn't come through. Apologies for the dealy, but I'd love to hear more of Leonard Sharpe from you, as a great admirer of his work.

I forgot to give my email, but list it below now.

All kindest wishes, and apologies again,

Peter Quartermaine
email: pquart@tiscali.co.uk
tel: 01392 270588 (Exeter)

shipsmonther

Visit site
Dear Ms Chaumet,

I hope my reply from yesterday came through to you (this is the only blog I have). I'd love to hear more of Leonard Sharpe, but just wanted to say that I will be away from 10 MArch for a spell, but will still be on email:
pquart@tiscali.co.uk (tel: 01392 270588)

I look forward very much to hearing from you. In the meantime, I thought you'd lke to know that the world's leading cruise ship designer, Joe Farcus in Miami Beach (a good friend), bought 'How to Draw Ships' when he was at school ( as did I). We both still treasure our copies.
All good wishes,
Peter Quartermaine