Lee Helm

G

A recent article (PBO 410)on Jaguar 25's referred to lee helm. Specific remedies were alluded to but not detailed. My boat, a masthead rigged Sheerline 747 (Oz), with a retractable keel , displays identical tendencies to lee helm only in light airs with backstay well tensioned. Tacking particularly to port is nigh impossible in these light conditions. Any ideas.Thanks.

G

Suspect it may be caused by depowering the main with too much backstay tension. It causes the middle of the mast to bow forward and flatten the sail although I thought mast head rigs were less suceptable to this than fractional. Also check that the mast rake, if its leaning forward or vertical tilt it back slightly to move the centre of effort back.

Think I've got this the right way round, rake forward to reduce weather helm rake back to reduce lee helm.

G

You have got it right re mast rake.Also agree about not over tensioning the back stay in light airs.My Anderson 22 has slight lee helm in light airs but it has not caused me to worry.The boat allways tacks and it corrects itself after about 5 knots of wind.