LED tube

crossbones

Visit site
LED

I wouldn't be put off because early lopolights were a bit troublesome. After a recommendation of a forumite I fitted three of these:-

http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail.php?prod=EasyLight

I am pleased with the performance. If LEDs are driven with the correct current and kept reasonably cool they should have a very long life.
If you look at some of the street video displays they contain literaly millions of 5mm LEDs. They work 24/7 and rarely show signs of individual LED failures.

William_H

Visit site
Flouro lights and LEDs

The usual flouro light fitting has a switching power converter to bring 12v up to several hundered for running the flouro. Surely you have to disconnect and bypass this power converter so 12v goes direct to the tube. This seems like a great idea to use the fitting especially when most failures of flouros are in the power converter. I am confused because no one has mentioned the modifications needed in the fitting. olewill

Conachair

Visit site
The usual flouro light fitting has a switching power converter to bring 12v up to several hundered for running the flouro. Surely you have to disconnect and bypass this power converter so 12v goes direct to the tube. This seems like a great idea to use the fitting especially when most failures of flouros are in the power converter. I am confused because no one has mentioned the modifications needed in the fitting. olewill

Instructions which come with the tube tell you to rewire removing the fluorescent ballast. Only takes a moment.

rosssavage

Visit site

Click the original link from the OP and RTFQ.... ;)

"Please note that the high voltage inverter board in existing flourescent fittings must be removed or disconnected - instructions supplied and advice available.
"

Canace

N/A
www.tmart.com
I wouldn't be put off because early lopolights were a bit troublesome. After a recommendation of a forumite I fitted three of these:-

http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail.php?prod=EasyLightled light bulbs

I am pleased with the performance. If LEDs are driven with the correct current and kept reasonably cool they should have a very long life.
If you look at some of the street video displays they contain literaly millions of 5mm LEDs. They work 24/7 and rarely show signs of individual LED failures.

LED light, in common with CFLs, has tended to be a somewhat cool blue colour, whereas we are more accustomed to a warmer yellow white colour. This is something that is now commonly addressed with the use of colored phosphors (these do reduce luminosity but this is in turn compensated for by the ever increasing lumens per watt yields for LEDs).

pappaecho

Visit site
I made a LED version of a single fluoresent tube which had become broken. I bought from Ebay an 18 inch length of LEDs for 99p, and connected them to the input output leads via the switch, ditching the pcb and ballast. It works very well, and also highlighted a serious wiring fault in the lighting circuit... the polarity had becomed inverted by a previous rewire. Used double sided tape to stick the strip to the body of the light. I estimate the light output to be about 1.5 times the 8 watt fluoresent