LED Nav lights

barnaclephill

Visit site
yes they're called bayonette lamps because of the shape - for car indicator lights as well as boats (bunk lights, nav lights, etc).

You can get white LED replacement "globes" in 'warm' white and 'cool' white to suit your fancy. Eg. http://www.ledshoponline.com/BA_15_D_LED_masthead_bulb.htm

You can also get red LED replacement 'globes' and green ones as well, though there is concern that a red 'globe' and a red lens (same goes for green) will cut down on brightness, thus distance at which you are noticed. They're about the same price.
But instead of replacement globes you can buy a set of waterproof and wired LED lamps that draw one Watt each: https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=53179&search123=53179&intAbsolutePage=1
which in my opinion are simple to fit and forget. The globes won't wiggle loose, they're solid-state and waterproof.

VicS

Visit site
Most chandlers sell LED replacements for the incandescent bulbs in nav lights

I bought one from Force 4 for my tricolour. ( it came with a replacement holder to allow correct alignment of the three sectors)

http://www.force4.co.uk/5546/Force-4-50-LED-Replacement-Tri-Colour-Nav-Light-Bulb.html

They are available to fit the bayonet holders used in nav lights and to replace festoon bulbs in the smaller lights
However cheap they are not!

Be sure to use LEDs arrays that give the required visible ranges and arcs of visibility also the correct colour LED for the port and starboard lights although warm white is an acceptable compromise.
Cool white is better for white lights

To the links already given I would add http://www.boatlamps.co.uk/

bikedaft

Visit site

Ross D

Visit site
also the correct colour LED for the port and starboard lights although warm white is an acceptable compromise.
Cool white is better for white lights

My understanding is that warm white is better for navlights as it is a closer spectrum of light to an incandescent filament, which is what the lenses are coloured to suit. Cool white is closer to the blue end of the spectrum and while brighter will not necessarily give the correct colour to comply with Colregs.

Ross

barnaclephill

Visit site
anyone got them - are they bright enough?

Yes, lots of boats around here have them, they've been around for about 8 years now. I think they're rated at one mile (maybe 2, but don't quote me on that) visibility, which seems accurate. They are as bright as an incandescent, and light up the whole sea in that area - I normally can sea all the waves quite well for 10 metres - as they're located on my cabintop, and I get the light being reflected back off the stanchions, sails, etc.
I'd be surprised if something similar is not available in your land. I think similar models are available on Ebay, or these guys will post them.

Last edited:

bikedaft

Visit site
Yes, lots of boats around here have them, they've been around for about 8 years now. I think they're rated at one mile (maybe 2, but don't quote me on that) visibility, which seems accurate. They are as bright as an incandescent, and light up the whole sea in that area - I normally can sea all the waves quite well for 10 metres - as they're located on my cabintop, and I get the light being reflected back off the stanchions, sails, etc.
I'd be surprised if something similar is not available in your land. I think similar models are available on Ebay, or these guys will post them.

thanks

they are about £60+ for the two lights here (ASAP) not $40 for two!

cheers

bbg

Visit site
The NASA Supernova Tricolour is a good price. I was happy with mine.

It is a purpose-built Tricolour, not a bulb replacement but I was VERY disappointed with the LED bayonet. I thought the Supernova was a good value to improve brightness at not too much cost. And it is very bright.

idpnd

www.svlibertalia.com
i got affordable sea rolf replacements which are alledgedly tuned to the tinted glass to give you the correct green/red etc. anchor light from same supplier also.

Talbot

Visit site
PBO did a test on these a couple of years ago The replacement bulbs do not really work very well in the coloured segments, but are fine for white replacement. In order to get the official required distance, you need an led that is compatible with the coloured segment - and this really requires a complete replacement.

Just done my anchor/tricolour with the Hella led light - looks much brighter than before. Now I really want to do the foredeck downlight, but it is not a standard bulb :mad:

Adrian Jones

www.boatlamps.co.uk
Thanks for all your advice it is most educational.
What with some LED's that effect other equipment & the price/matching colours etc I think I will stick with conventional bulbs.

Its very disappointing that you have decided to stay with incandescent lamps. Such lamps are grossly inefficient with over 98% of energy used wasted as heat This is often the reason most boat owners choose to replace conventional lamps with LED units.
You also mention price and colour matching as reasons not to change as well as effect of the lamps on other equipment, which I presume you mean EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) causing problems on VHF and AIS signals.
Your view is rather widely held but is often based on early products with later technical developments largely resolving the issues. This view in the UK boating community, I'm pleased to note, is rapidly changing.
Colour output of LED lamps can cover a full range of colours between 3000- 7000K. The 3000 end of the range is very close to the light output of conventional incandescent lamps and often described as warm white, warm white lamps are generally thought as being sympathetic to boat interiors. The other end of the spectrum is cold white which can have a rather blue tinge. Between the lower and upper range some very convincing white light is produced, often referred to as cool white. Cool white LED lamps are widely used in utility areas where a brighter light is warranted, a galley area for instance. Cockpit lighting also tends to be served better by cool white light. The efficacy, that is, Lumen output per input Watt is generally higher the cooler the LED lamp colour is.
If boat owners purchase good quality CE approved LED lamps from reputable suppliers EMI should not now be an issue, as all lamps meeting that standard should not cause any interference. Early constant-current control electronics did cause some minor problems with Luddite published views often exaggerating the effect. Good quality, recently produced, LED lamps do not suffer with any significant EMI issues.
You also mention cost, yes the cost of a good quality reliable LED lamp is more than a standard halogen lamp. The whole life cost however is a different matter. Most LED lamps should have a life of between 30,000 and 50,000 hours. Manufacturers are now obliged to state the service life of their lamps at the point where Lumen output falls to 70% of the new value. Your standard incandescent lamp will have black coating on the inside of the lamp glass, which starts within minutes of use if your lucky the light output will only fall to 30% when it then instantly fails. When this occurs at the top of the mast whilst at sea its quite a significant issue. Halogens are better but most fail early due to poor light fixture design resulting excessive heat rise of the lamp. A good quality LED lamp can cost £5-6. I've seen halogen lamps sold for the same price and you lucky to get 2000 hours output.
What price not having to chase around your boat whilst at anchor turning off lights left on by guests. Having a very bright anchor light on from dusk to dawn with no appreciable degradation of battery power is also well worth the cost of a LED bulb.
I would suggest you to at least try out a sample LED lamp and you will be very surprised at the benefits it brings with no appreciable negatives.
Regards

William_H

Visit site
LEd light replacement bulb in tricolour

No one has mentioned the problem here. An incandescent bulb for a tricolour (or bicolour) will have a vertical filament so in the azimuth (horizontal ) plane the source of light is a very tiny point. This then goes out to 3 different coloured lenses about 4cms away and so gives a sharp cut off of different colour sectors.
Put an LED white bulb in its place and you have a lot of LEDs on the circumference of a fitting about 3 to 4 cms in diameter. These LEDs typically radiating at + and - 30 degrees. Being much closer to the lens you do not get the sharp definition of colour change that the regs require.
This situation can be improved by having an LED replacement bulb that has 3 different coloured LEDs. However definition is still not as good as we would hope. If used without lenses (clear glass) you have better definition. So IMHO buy purpose made LED mast head or side Port and starboard lamps.
Anchor and stern light not so much concern. Certainly great for cabin lights. good luck olewill

barnaclephill

Visit site
they are about £60+ for the two lights here (ASAP) not $40 for two!

$40 will be about 25 pounds plus freight.
Whitworths at that link will do overseas freight, or you can also try Bias: http://www.biasboating.com.au/product_p/b5441b.htm

Take 10% GST/VAT off, then add freight.
Email them both for a qote, it costs nothing to ask.

I imported a dinghy from Dorset last year 150 pounds freight - cheap

Visit site
It interesting to learn about that stuff & I am grateful for the explanation about different colour temperatures but........I have several different lights in situate & it would cost a fortune to replace them + I don't have the luxury of the time......I imagine a full set of bulb replacements should'nt cost me more than a few quid.
I shall certainly check them out for replacement cabin lights one of the main benefits I think will be that I can buy battery ones that won't necessitate running the wires across the cabin (I am also thinking about dumping the cabin lining).
Regards....