LED mast deck light.

Adonnante

Visit site
The ancient deck light mounted onto the front of my mast has finally failed after probably 25 years, it gave a useful amount of light but at the cost of a near flat battery. My plan was to replace it with a LED unit, however searches so far have drawn a blank as all appear to be combination lights with a steaming light attached which I already have. Is anyone aware of a LED deck light on its own?

Peter

Minchsailor

Visit site
It does not have to be a 'deck light'. These days there a masses of small weather tight (=, or > than IP54) floodlights. LED 3-5W will be more than enough.

Here's an example (but Google will give you loads more):

www.hollybrookps.co.uk/12v-led-lighting/12v-led-5w-floodlight.html

I got something similar a year ago; a vast improvement on the old so called 'yacht' deck light.

Last edited:

Adonnante

Visit site
Thanks for your reply but I have a large overlapping genoa which when tacking would hand out a good hammering to the light, not sure which would win, probably neither. I'm looking for the bottom half of a combination light I guess.

NormanS

Visit site
I fitted a pair of "Daylight Running Lights" on the underside of my mizzen spreaders. I'm sure they could just as easily be fitted to the mainmast spreaders, where they will not be attacked by the Genoa.

I don't have a link to them, but I found them on eBay for less than a tenner, and they give a fantastic light for very little power.

pvb

Visit site
The only one I'm aware of at a vaguely sensible price is the Forespar ML-1, which you can get from US, eg from here -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forespar-Spreader-Deck-Light-ML-1-131000/162173232240

The other one I've seen is a Signal Mate and it's over $200.

The ML-1 looks quite neat...

View attachment 62495

Your cheaper option is to buy an ordinary steaming/deck light and paint over the steaming bit!

Adonnante

Visit site
I fitted a pair of "Daylight Running Lights" on the underside of my mizzen spreaders. I'm sure they could just as easily be fitted to the mainmast spreaders, where they will not be attacked by the Genoa.

I don't have a link to them, but I found them on eBay for less than a tenner, and they give a fantastic light for very little power.

Complications again! I have a wide chord aluminum mast with the foot and head welded on, very strong but not conducive to running any other wire through. I'm hoping that the existing wire (2 core) is still serviceable and the new light can just be connected.

prv

Visit site

I did the same: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?395660-Deck-Flood-replacement-bulbs&p=4741198#post4741198 . They're almost invisible when not in use, light up the whole boat very brightly, and because there are two light sources (one under each spreader) you don't end up working in your own shadow.

Pete

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Marine Superstore and others have deck lights for £50 and combine steaming/deck for £20. The combine is good; if you dont need the steaming light, just remove the light bulb and replace the deck light bulb with an led one.

Iminei

Visit site
I did the same: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?395660-Deck-Flood-replacement-bulbs&p=4741198#post4741198 . They're almost invisible when not in use, light up the whole boat very brightly, and because there are two light sources (one under each spreader) you don't end up working in your own shadow.

Pete

Inspired by either NormanS or prv I've done the same - my wiring runs via the steaming light - maybe you could use the original cable.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231473131312?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

NormanS

Visit site

prv

Visit site
I should probably point out that I didn't think that double sided sticky tape was quite adequate, and although I did use the tape, I also put a couple of cable ties on each one.

I think the sticky pads are probably ok (unless the 3M logos on it are faked...) but as belt and braces I ran a bead of sikaflex around the edge.

Pete