LED bulbs???

Milestone

Visit site
Hi all,
While I've got my mast down, I'd like to change my tri-color and anchor light bulbs to LED. These are very interesting looking bulbs! Would any body know what or where I can get the LED equivalent of a 1212u Radium (12v-10w) and 1230u Radium (12v-25w) ?

Many thanks
Ben

Cockaigne

Visit site
Hi all,
While I've got my mast down, I'd like to change my tri-color and anchor light bulbs to LED. These are very interesting looking bulbs! Would any body know what or where I can get the LED equivalent of a 1212u Radium (12v-10w) and 1230u Radium (12v-25w) ?

Many thanks
Ben

I'd start by asking Boatlamps.

C08

Visit site
I got mine nav LED bulbs 25w from Searolf and they are going strong after 7 years. Plenty around but probably variable quality. Nav bulbs at deck level you could take a chance with cheapies but up the mast quality is everything bearing in mind replacement.

VicS

Visit site
Hi all,

Many thanks
Ben

As well as Searolf look at Boatlamps https://boatlamps.co.uk/

It is important that you use LEDs with a spectrum output that matches the red and green nav light lenses. LEDs do not emit light with a continuous spectrum like incandescent filament bulbs

If you have a choice for your particular light choose LED units with colored leds. If not warm white is recommended for port, starboard, bicolour and tricolour lights.

For white lights cool white is better

Kinsale373

Visit site
I found "boatlamps.UK. " excellent. They are helpfull if you phone. The on line selection guides are easy to use and to understand. Be careful specifying whether the two positioning pins on the sides of the bulbs are in line or offset. I think that most are offset. Changing to LE light is the best "bank for you buck" from he point of view of extending battery life.

Regards, Kinsale 373

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Holt also produce a tricolour LED lamp with a divider for the different sectors, apparently much better than a lamp without. (Note - these are lamps NOT bulbs which are planted and grow - as I was informed many years ago by the chief design engineer at the firm I worked at!)

Milestone

Visit site
Ah brilliant, thanks for all your info/suggestions. Haha yes, I've had the argument many times with partsman about the correct term bulbs and lamps! Just habit

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Since LEDs use so little current, the raison d'etre for a tricolour has largely disappeared. So you may consider scrapping it and just fitting LEDs in the deck level nav lights. One less reason to climb up the mast.
I bought some at a boat jumble which didn't work when I fitted them. Bought some proper ones from Boatlamps which are great. There are a great number of different sizes and colours best to ring them for advice. LEDs are expensive but last indefinitely so good value overall. I like warm white for internal illumination but not sure what for coloured nav lights.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
As I said, tricolours are I the past now you can run your deck level nav lights all night with very little battery depletion and no shinning up the mast to change a bulb either.
Why not scrap the present light (which is probably getting a bit ancient and sunbaked) and fit a NASA led triclour/all round white? Did that myself a couple of years ago - I know NASA kit is a bit Marmite on here, but this unit seems OK.